I remember Jack Palance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 13th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #1
Trustee

I remember Jack Palance

Jack Palace died Friday.

The world will probably remember Jack Palance best for his late career turn as a comedic bad-guy in movies like CITY SLICKERS I & II - and for his one armed push-ups while 75 at the Academy Awards.

He started off his career playing bad guys, usually in westerns. He had large roles in over a 130 films or TV shows.

I'll remember him best for his hosting of RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT during the middle 80's, and also during this time, his role as Voltan in HAWK THE SLAYER.

Right after STAR WARS, there was an influx of fantasy films (apparently because it was still cheaper than doing sci-fi, but the same basic themes could still be explored), and HAWK was one of them. Made in the UK, it pitted little known John Terry (probably best known as Mathew Modine's in-country commanding officer in FULL METAL JACKET) as a Paladin vs Palance as his evil older brother.

Made for almost nothing, it remains one of the best fantasy films made, largely due to it's taking itself seriously and having a very good cast, including Jack as a Darth Vader -like baddy.

Some of his lines are just classic, like "How many times have dreamed of killing you. Slowly. Painfully..."

Said by Palance, these lines were quite chilling, esp to a kid. Jack was 87.

Here's to you Jack... RIP
john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Wow... that's sad. http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...palance.death/

He was a World War Two combat veteran and Brando's understudy in Streetcar. I've seen a lot of his work but my favorite is always going to be his performance in Shane.

Shane: So you're Jack Wilson.
Jack: What's that mean to you, Shane?
Shane: I've heard about you.
Jack: What have you heard, Shane?
Shane: I've heard that you're a low-down Yankee liar.
Jack: Prove it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Wrangler

I first remember Jack Palance for his portrayal of Count Dracula. Something about the shape of his face and those narrow eyes with fangs made him really look the part. Not to mention his way of speaking and his vocal quality.

But then came City Slickers and the many funny lines he delivered. My favorite would have to be, "I've crapped bigger than you."

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Wow... that's sad. http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...palance.death/

He was a World War Two combat veteran and Brando's understudy in Streetcar. I've seen a lot of his work but my favorite is always going to be his performance in Shane.
You know what Chris? I know SHANE's a great film as is - but I always thought that Jack would've been better as Shane himself. In fact, he seemed made to play Shane - steely, cold, tough and also very human.

Didn't know he was a WWII vet - but it doesn't surprise me. He was great.

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Sure John, but who could play an effective Jack Wilson against a Jack Palance Shane? As often as I've seen that movie, I don't think I could imagine anyone else playing that role as well as he did.

Jack: I guess they named a lot of that Southern trash after old Stonewall.
Stonewall: Who'd they name you after? Or do you know?
Jack: I'm saying that Stonewall Jackson was trash himself. Him and Lee and the rest of them rebs. You, too.
Stonewall: You're a low-down Yankee liar!
Jack: Prove it.

As for Shane himself, I thought Clint Eastwood did a great job in that role, when he remade that movie in 1985 under the title Pale Rider.

Drifting away from Palance now, but back to Shane, the little kid in that movie (Shane! Come back, Shane!) grew up to have quite a career (unlike, sadly, most child actors) including key roles in Hud and In Harm's Way, before his tragic premature death in an automobile accident in 1972.

Man I shouldn't digress on this stuff... hard to resist though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #6

I met Jack Palance, one time, in Santa Fe. The man was the ultimate in courtesy and consideration, so unlike many of his contemporaries. I thought his TV portrayal of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was awesome.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Hawk the slayer!
I remember that show. Like the Magnificent Seven meets Lord of the Rings.

He was also good opposite Peter Cushing in the Man Who Collected Poe--from the movie Torture Garden.

believe it

or not..
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Goden
Hawk the slayer!
I remember that show. Like the Magnificent Seven meets Lord of the Rings.

Yep, that's the one! Very good description of old HAWK. It's a fun time for anyone who hasn't seen it and it is available on DVD. Jack eats many a set in the film, perhaps thinking that it would only be seen in the UK... Little did he know it become something of a cult hit because Showtime used to show it almost everyday for a year back in the 80's.

Jack... You're....My...number one guy....

jdv
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Major Player

I interviewed Jack in the early 80's whenhe was hosting Ripley's Believe it or not. He was doing a segment on Historic Hangar One at the Lakehurst Naval Air station (Hindenberg) and he told me in his distinctive style "hangar one could hold the entire population of the state of New Jersey......(breath) Properly divided...."

he was a class Act. i saw him again years later when working in his home area's TV market. nice guy, he will be missed.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

He will be missed.

I was fortunate to have met Jack Palance briefly - it was after an 18 hour shooting day on the set of Buffalo Girls in 1995, he took the time to meet all the background crew... and just spend time with us. That says a lot about the man and how he approached his craft.
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Don't forget "Bagdad Cafe". He showed in that one he didn't have to be tough or play a hard-hitting character, to make his mark on a movie.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media