Orlando Florida - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 13th, 2003, 06:13 AM   #16
Major Player

And don't forget Hurricane Season. Jeff, Keith, Shawn, Imran, does it start the beginning of June and last until November? The prediction for this year, I believe, is up a little from last year due to the El Nino in the Pacific. At any rate, we know when Hurrican Season begins here because the supermarkets start printing the Hurrican tracker maps on their bags, and T.V. stations add the tracker maps to their websites. Oh yea, and the Houston paper always has a feature insert on the Great Storm of 1900 down on Galveston that just about washed away the island.

Good luck on your shoot in Florida. Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #17
Capt. Quirk

I'm not sure about the season... I only pay attention when they say it is coming for us. If the hurricane doesn't hit, you still have the tornados, lightning, wild fires, locusts, frogs, snakes, and water funnels. If I were to pay attention to all that is going on around me, my sphincter would always be in a knot!
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #18
Wrangler

Maybe I should have taken that assignment in Iraq instead....
So much for a working vacation in a tropical paradise. At least the rain will remind me of home. :)
Old April 13th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #19
Capt. Quirk

No worries Dylan... We'll take care of you ;)
Old April 13th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #20
Warden

Did I mention the Bott flies? They lay their larvae under your scalp and then the maggot crawls around for awhile till it's time to pop out. They're fun.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 11:10 PM   #21
Wrangler

You're killin' me, you know!

What about the gators? Should I hire a Hummer limo to take me from one location to the next? :)

Can I drink the water at least?
Old April 14th, 2003, 03:42 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Aww, it's not as bad as they're all making out to be. Except for the oppressive heat and humidity. Gators are no problem. They're kinda like squirrels and not likely to be hanging around Orlando. As for the hurricanes, I live right on the coast and a hurricane hasn't hit us directly since 1984 (or 1985....I was little). Orlando is far enough inland that it'd have to be MASSIVE to be any more than a drizzle by the time it got that far inland. I have no experience with Bott flies and the water should be okay. Ever heard of Zephyrhills brand bottled water? Zephyrhills is about an hour's drive from Orlando. So is Land o' Lakes, but I hear it's not the same one as the butter :)

-Shawn
Old April 14th, 2003, 05:48 AM   #23
Capt. Quirk

Don't worry about them Gators, Dylan... Them is good eating! It's the mosquitos that will eat you.
Old April 14th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Played Golf in Kissimmee and hit a baby 3ft gator sunbathing on the edge of a lake, made concentrating on the next shot a litte unsettling.
Watch out for the Fire Ants though, EAT you alive.
Peter Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #25
Trustee

Shawn, you haven't been to downtown orlando in a while eh? Harold & Maude's, Kit Kat and the neighboring Globe (which used to be the Go Lounge) were all bought out by the company that owns Wall St. Cantina. The Globe is still The Globe, but rather different, and Kit Kat/Harold & Maude's has been converted into one large club - Slingapour's.

It's all very commercialized, and a little annoying, but hey, what can ya do?

And Dylan, nobody is lying about the rain. When I first moved to florida back in '86, I used to actually use the rain to remember when reruns from old Star Trek were on - like clockwork, just before 4 or so. El Nino made things weird for a couple of years, but we're getting back on the same cycle now. Prepare for heat and rain!!!

But, at night, there's nothing like driving with the windows down...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 01:15 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I can get up there to meet folks. I missed the last opportunity, so I'd like to try again.

I have a pickup truck for hauling things around if needed for a few days.

There are pro equipment dealers up their, but mostly small places that have to special order. Or you can contact University of Central FL which has a well funded film program and see what they can do to help.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Dylan, we can bring you down to Aligator Alley. I know a place a little more than an hour from my home (Everglades National Park), where you can get up close and personal with hundreds of wild gators. Really.

It's lots of fun to walk down to the waters edge and stare them in the eye. I have some pretty good shots from my digital camera to prove it.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 06:36 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Gator golf

just wondering if Peter took the mandatory 1 stroke penalty for attacking an indigenous species. Also, it's hot and humid, the rest is theater. I'd offer my help, Dylan, but I retreat to the safe environs of NY during the summer, lol.
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Re: Gator golf

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric Emerick : just wondering if Peter took the mandatory 1 stroke penalty for attacking an indigenous species. Also, it's hot and humid, the rest is theater. I'd offer my help, Dylan, but I retreat to the safe environs of NY during the summer, lol. -->>>

Of course I did, I'm an Englishman. though I did break the rules and took a drop way way back from the waters edge.

Peter.
Peter Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #30
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney : Dylan, we can bring you down to Aligator Alley. I know a place a little more than an hour from my home (Everglades National Park), where you can get up close and personal with hundreds of wild gators. Really.
-->>>

I've seen my share of gators there! I was windsurfing in a small lake somewhere in the interior there, looked behind me and saw a small log following me! OK, so the gator wasn't longer than 3 feet, but it scared the hell out of me as I was a long way from getting back to the beach. Made it back with all my fingers and toes though. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media