JVC HD line at Cannes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 19th, 2003, 05:42 AM   #1
Wrangler

JVC HD line at Cannes

I'm at the Festival here in Cannes and JVC reps are showing their HD line of decks and camcorders here in the American Pavillion. Anything you'd like me to ask them?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #2
Permanently Banned

It would be nice to try the camcorder, tape something in normal indoor light, and in daylight, then play the images on HD monitor. The report so far were that on playback the colors are washed out. If you could give us your impression, it would be nice. JVC was going to fix the problem. Maybe the new camcorders are upgraded already.

Is JVC claiming that these could be used for novie production?
Joseph George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:41 PM   #3
Wrangler

I'm curious if they have any plans to build a HD version of the DV5000, or something similar.
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ask them about slowing down the capture to 24p and upping the MPEG-2 bitrate to 25 mpbs. The 60% more bits could sure be used, from the macroblocky examples I've seen so far. Plus, 24p would be nice for the filmmakers.
///d@
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #5
Major Player

How's the beach?

Sorry, this is a question about cameras. OK, maybe uniformed questions but here goes: Do the cameras have the lens or the CCD to really produce the image one would expcet from an HD camera? Are the cameras just OK?, a really step up? a breakthrough?

And will they attract hot chicks? Sorry that was another thread wasn't it.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 04:30 PM   #6
Permanently Banned

I think that it should be clarified that we are talking about the small HD1 and HD10 MPEG2 HD DV camcorders, not of the CMOS HD prototype box camera.

How about Sony? Maybe you can ask them when will they counteract with low cost HD, possibly blu-ray HD DVD MPEG2 camcorder.
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #7
Rextilleon

Forget the toy, are the women as beautiful as they say---LOL!
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:38 AM   #8
Wrangler

They have a proto HD1 here. I'll ask about 24P operation and upping the bitrate.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #9
Permanently Banned

They will not have 24p and will not up the bit rate. The color quality on playback on HDTV monitor is what would be interesting to hear about, since most people said it is poor.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:13 AM   #10
Major Player

There's that complete package problem again, no one is willing to give us HD and 24p in the same deal.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:29 AM   #11
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Robert!! You're in Cannes!? Mon Dieu! (Cannes, B.C. maybe?)

You lucky son of a gun. Please give my regards to André at the Miramar... and if you happen to bump into Catherine Deneuve tell her I'm sorry for never returning her calls.

Okay...we were talking about some gadget or something, weren't we?
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:07 AM   #12
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Parrish : There's that complete package problem again, no one is willing to give us HD and 24p in the same deal. -->>>

Not true. Of course you can get HD and 24p in the same camera. It will however cost you quite a bit more than $3,000.
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:39 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Yea, I guess it would be too hard (and too expensive) to slow down the frame clock from 30Hz to 24Hz. They'd have to triple the price to pull that trick off. Duh.
///d@
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:49 PM   #14
Major Player

"Real" HD cameras can shoot at variable speeds. They cost real money.

These are consumer cameras with just adequate lenses and tiny ccds. You can fixate on frame rate all you want but that isn't the biggest problem that these cameras seem to have.
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:36 PM   #15
Permanently Banned

24p is no big deal technologically, but the manufacurers are making sure we do not get all the good features in their inexpensive packages, and will therefore buy their expensive ones.

There will be soon nearly 200 theater screens in major US markets with digital projectors that accept 30p. If the movie will ever need a wider distribution, you can slow it down digitally to 24 fps for optical printing. It is slow work, especially on fast/complex motion scenes, but it can be done, and it is not that expensive.
Joseph George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media