Short Film Length at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #1
New Boot

Short Film Length

I've heard from multiple sources that if you're going to make a short film, you should make it no more than 10 minutes. In fact, as one book put it, "Make it short (under 10 minutes) or make it a feature."

I can understand this in a sense, but is there no market for say, 15-20 minute films? What's the reasoning behind this, and how do you people feel about it?
John Jaquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There are quite a few successful 15 minute shorts.

The reason for going for the shorter running times is that film festivals can programme in more films if they're 10 mins or less. You really do need to have an outstanding longer running time short for the festivals to want to screen it.

Also, if you have a shorter running time broadcasters may buy the short as filling between programmes.

Apart from that, 15 to 20 mins is an awkward length in story telling terms and most tend to drag compared to the shorter running times. In the TV market you really need 25 mins, because that's the shortest programme slot. At that running time it becomes a one off TV drama.

On the Internet, being short reduces the download times.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Trustee

I didn't know there was a market for shorts! Just make it as long as you need, and find a festival to suit.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak View Post
I didn't know there was a market for shorts! Just make it as long as you need, and find a festival to suit.
There is a market, but don't expect to make a profit. I have two shorts with a distributor and the odd sale comes in.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media