What's your day job? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #106
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Chavez View Post
Hey Tom, is the Dem race huge money in the bank?

Between chasing the Dems all over the east, and now March Madness basketball (I'm now in the truck doing 15 MAAC games in 4 days), I'm ready to quit....again!
Tom Majeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #107
Tourist

My day job is teaching television production at an arts magnet middle school. I absolutely love it.
Randy Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #108
Major Player

I'm a video game programmer in LA. Been doing a few things on the side so far. I mostly want to just do my own projects so that keeps the whole film making thing as mostly a past time for now
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #109
Regular Crew

Latin America correspondent for a major news agency.

Yeah, it's a cool gig, but a lot of you guys are doing stuff that also really fascinates me. If I had three lifetimes I'd be joining you on some of the (ad)ventures. Game programming, sailing, indy films.... Helluva board here, isn't it?
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #110
New Boot

I am a Videographer/Editor/Multimedia developer at the U. S. Air Force Survival School. I am active duty military and have been in the AF going on 20 years now. I have been assigned to Combat Camera, base level Multimedia shops, and now provide lesson content for survival training here at Fairchild AFB, SPokane WA.

I am retiring in Oct and have hope to come right back to work here at the school but will have to wait and see what is available to me. In the meantime I have purchased my own equipment to shoot, edit, and produce video for whatever job might come my way.

I have loved my job in the AF but it is time to move on...This is a very scary time moving from the structure that I have been used to most of my adult life into the unknown. So, with all said your prayers and best wishes are apprciated as I move onto my new chapter in life.
Steven Plaisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #111
Trustee

Steven,
Good luck with the transition. My dad flew jets in the Marines for 20+ years and then went into insurance. He survived. Change is always scary.
If you want to stick with video, but crave structure, maybe you should consider finding a corporation with an in-house video department. That should be more structured than a lot of video jobs, but the corporate culture/complete lack of decisiveness might drive you nuts. Just a suggestion.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #112
New Boot

Ethan, We may have crossed paths a few times in our years. I am originally from New Orleans, went to Nicholls State from 83-85. Lived in Thibodeaux, worked radio at KTIB, KXOR and was in Houma from time to time. Man, I sure do miss a good crawfish boil.....

Steven
Steven Plaisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #113
Trustee

Steven - small world isn't it? I'm not a native myself, I married a Cajun girl about 3 years back and have been made an honorary Southern Louisianian.

I grew up all around the South East and claim Augusta, Ga. as home since that's where my family landed after my dad got out of the service & that's where I did my high school and early college years.

Being from that area, I never dreamed I would have married anyone from Louisiana, much less settle down here (buying our first home soon) but I have to say, between the women and crawfish, I'm hooked. I now wonder how I lived all those years without both.

Next time I peel a few and down some ice cold Corona, I'll give you a thought. If you ever decide to repatriate yourself we'll fire up the pot, bust out the old family recipe, and welcome you guys back with a sack full.

Good luck with the job search.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #114
Trustee

Changed ITs

UPDATE

Recently switched from Banking & Financial IT to Health Care IT. I now work at a hostpital -what a difference...I got to wear full scrub surgery outfit my second week (brought it home) and I'm two doors down from the morgue :-p

No longer web dev
No longer vocalist
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:35 AM   #115
Major Player

I'm a database programmer. I used to work a lot in financial services, the last few years more in the telecomm world.

Suffering a bit from the golden handcuffs. I make decent money as a programmer, so to go off into the videography world is daunting financially. Right now I'm working part time as a programmer, so I have some income, but a little more time to plan the Great Leap into the Unknown.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM   #116
New Boot

19 yrs old here. I'm the CTO of a small business. I'm 2 months away from my BA, and I plan on going to Grad School for a Ph.D. in Psychology. I've just started testing the video making waters.... and I'm FASCINATED! I'm working on my second project now and I'm loving every second of it. It's a biographical documentary of a very interesting man. With my psychological leanings, I will be focusing in his psychological struggle (he had plenty of demons). Maybe I can combine my talents/interests.. hmm.. Gotta speak with my parents about this, i wonder what they will say..

EDIT: re-posted in http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=4657

Last edited by Steve Hart; June 2nd, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
Steve Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM   #117
Regular Crew

IT Manager for 13 sites across EMEA and CISMEA.

Would love to get to the point of leaving and doing the film business full time but never seem to work out how I can build the business up part time...need to do it full time to build it up but dont have the time....

Bloody vicious circles...
Vince Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:17 AM   #118
Regular Crew

By day I work as an Operating Theatre Technician at the local hospital.

By night and weekends I work as a stringer for the local TV stations' regional news as well as Australia's top news service, National Nine News.

By way of relaxation, I am a pilot and love to take to the skies when funds permit. I also love to go SCUBA diving - mostly south of Melbourne, and for community service I am a volunteer advanced life support Ambulance officer with St John Ambulance.

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM   #119
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Full time videographer (shooter, editor, producer, collections agent) for my own production company. Hire freelancers as needed. I've been a casual on-call shooter with CBC-Radio Canada Winnipeg (worked out to about a half-time gig for three or four years - mostly working in the French newsroom or for french national (RDI)).

I've worked every sporting venue with a video board in Winnipeg either as a shooter, director/switcher and audio guy at some point in the past ten years. Taught for about a year at a private vocational college.

DOP on an indie "film" shot on DVCam that we are STILL waiting for post to be complete on.

Worked for an embedded company doing medical video for 20 months. Interesting work. Mostly just retirement tea photos and training videos but every now and again we'd get to do something clinical.

Mostly I do broadcast PSAs and non-broadcast training videos, as well as switching multi-camera live gigs such as conventions.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #120
Space Hipster

I'm a full-time TV producer/director/videographer/editor (mainly commercials), sometimes freelance videographer. I've been in broadcasting and film production for 24 years.
I also spent time in SW Louisiana, Lake Charles to be exact. Got my first TV job at KPLC-TV.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media