Sachtler dropped DV-2 - DV4 lines at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 12th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Sachtler dropped DV-2 - DV4 lines

Looks like finally they realized these two tripods don't stand for the Sachtler name, so they replaced them with the new FSB line.
I think finally I find my tripod-head combination.
Laszlo

http://www.sachtler.us/index.php?id=...exp_pid=539#34

http://www.sachtler.us/index.php?id=...exp_pid=537#34
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Finally....and a few weeks to late for me to save some bucks, but that said the DV6SB head works like a charm.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Magnussen View Post
Finally....and a few weeks to late for me to save some bucks, but that said the DV6SB head works like a charm.
I was ready to order the DV6SB when I realized the new line. Now the FSB 6 with the new sliding plate system and even with CF tripod is way cheaper then the DV6SB.

Laszlo
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That said the Dv6 head got the two extra drag settings and higher payload, which is nice of you need to rent a small shoulder cam, not ideal with 75mm bowl but it will work. Or if you where to load up a hvx with tele/mini35, mattebox and monitor..

I'm not sure i would by the CF legs for the small kits, the legs aren't that much lighter and not that much stiffer either than it's alu rivals, just more expensive.

And btw the price i paid for the dv6 kit with hard case is about the same you need to pay for the fsb 6 kit with the hard case as accessories.(trying to convince my self not wasting to much money when not waiting/watching out for what was coming..)
But whether or not you buy the fsb or sb heads, it's still sachtler and will last for ever.
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Christian, you're 100% right, I still need think about this twice. I always used Gitzo head, (which perfectly suited my needs) but this is my first chance to buy a "real" tripod. Till now I wasn't sure Cartoni Focus, Miller D20 with Solo legs or this Sachtler. I always want Sacthler, but at $1900 was a bit too much. That's why I was closer to the Focus or to the Miller. Now the FSB6 can compete price wise to these two, now easier to pick the right one like me, who always want Sachtler.
But again, you right; for extra $400 I can have a DV6SB with higher capacity, two extra drug adjust and hard case, which I use with my Gitzo's since day one (and I love them) About the CF legs , again I never used CF legs so I don't know if it's worth the extra $150. The website said this is open and close much easier, so it's not just a weight.
BTW I want use this with the upcoming Sony EX camera which will be my third camera and sometime (just in case) with my HD110 with IDX battery and focus puller, plus on camera light. (I use the Gitzos for these setups)
Anyway, it's still a very hard decision.

Laszlo
Old September 16th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #6
Trustee

This looks very interesting. I was considering a Vinten PRO-6HDV (which as far as I can tell is a Manfrotto 503HDV on a set of Vinten legs and got an honourable mention at dvuser.co.uk) or just a Manfrotto 503HDV/525 combo, though that prospect didn't fill me full of enthusiasm. My love of low-end Libecs is waning as I find it hard coping without adjustable drag and balance (and downright wobbly legs in the el-cheapo 950DV).

Converting B&H prices to UK£ suggests around £700 for the FSB-6, which is within my financial grasp, unlike the current Sachtler DV6 SB or the Vinten Pro 3.

Anyone know when these tripods are due to arrive with the dealers in the UK?
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #7
Trustee

Sachtler has this to say about the FSB-6:

"The Sideload plate makes for easier mounting of the camera to the head especially with additional equipment added to the camera. There is also a greater sliding range available with the Sideload FSB head."

How benficial the Sideload plate and greater sliding range actually are, I have no idea.

But an extra ~7 lbs of capacity and nicer case make the DV6-SB tempting.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
How benficial the Sideload plate and greater sliding range actually are, I have no idea.
I'm always asking for more...why didn't they just add the Touch & Go from the larger heads?
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Magnussen View Post
I'm always asking for more...why didn't they just add the Touch & Go from the larger heads?
I think they did! From the press release: "The FSB 6 fluid head is available with either the Snap & Go sideload plate S or the classic Touch & GoŽ camera plate."
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:03 PM   #10
Trustee

Right, the Sideload plate has more sliding range that the Touch and Go. Either is available with the FSB head.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #11
Regular Crew

If you need that much sliding to balance the camera, you can always add the C.O.G. plate.
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #12
Trustee

I am starting to wonder if the FSB 6 is really a suped-up DV-4?

Which is not to say it's bad, but from what I've heard when the smaller DV's were still being made, the DV-6 is where the line began to shine.

Last edited by Peter Moretti; September 24th, 2007 at 11:55 PM.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads