Selling my OConnor Ultimate DV head and sticks: price? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old November 13th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Selling my OConnor Ultimate DV head and sticks: price?

Hey guys,

I'm about to sell my OConnor Ultimate DV head and the sticks that go along with it (along with my Porta Brace shellpack) -- just got a 1030HD head and 35L sticks for my Red. New Ultimate DV pkg and case were close to $4k total. I've had everything for about two years, and it is all in excellent condition -- the sticks have literally only been used 2-3 times and the head has been well taken care of. Can anyone suggest an asking price for gear like this? In the past I've only ever sold cameras, so I'm not sure what the resale is on items like this that have a long life. Additionally, I believe OConnor has stopped selling this head, which I would think would help resale -- it's the perfect head for most DV/HVX200/XL type cameras -- balances up to 18lbs and is full featured, just like a 2575.

If anyone is interested, once I figure out a price I'll be posting the whole setup on the DVinfo classifieds, with pics. Thanks!

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Don't know about the entire package price, but personally I think the head alone is worth at least $2000. Comparable heads are the Sachtler DV8-SB/100 ($2300 head only) and Cartoni Laser ($2100 head only). When the Ultimate DV was new, it went for about $2500, but OConnor no longer makes this head and it's very rare. They only make their larger (and more expensive) heads now, starting with the 1030. The nice thing about OConnor heads is no matter how big or small they are, they are all built like a tank and they all have the same features (same continuous counterbalance, same drag mechanism, same QR platform, interchangeable bases, etc). The only thing is the Ultimate DV is smaller so it doesn't have the counterbalance crank and number counter like on the 2575. It has a paddle knob instead.

But it might be hard to get someone to buy your head at that price, unless they really know about fluid heads and can appreciate the unique OConnor feel and quality. You might have to be patient. Either way, good luck with your sale!
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Tim. I definitely agree with your sentiments regarding the head -- I will be sad to see it go and it has really served me well. It truly is a (nearly) full featured OConnor head, just in a smaller package. Comparing it to my 1030HD, the only real difference is color and size. I will use your pricing suggestion as a starting point and see if there are any takers. Time to take some pics of this bad boy and put it in the classifieds!

Peter
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Here's the link to the the classified ad:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...874#post776874

Last edited by Peter Richardson; November 16th, 2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #5
Major Player

I also set up my .Mac webpage with pics:

http://web.mac.com/peterdrichardson/...mate%20DV.html

Last edited by Peter Richardson; November 16th, 2007 at 10:18 PM.
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads