Considering 2 pan handles. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Considering 2 pan handles.

Is anyone using 2 pan handles? Part of my routine is to get smooth 140-160 degree pans of aircraft take offs: the Bogen 503 head has the extension handle and I use it on the left.

On the Canon A1 I tried the EVF but find I can use the LCD outdoors while standing back with the handle extended and that's better: but on some takes I like to get in close to the moving plane then intercut with interior shots to build the excitement.

It took some practice to step around the sticks to get a smooth even pan but there are still jerks at the wrong time: I lock the tilt, obviously not tilting up as the a/c leaves the runway.

But I'm considering 2 handles, left and right to get even closer/smoother pans; anyone doing this or have any tips?
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I use two handles on the larger ENG cameras when I shoot in the studio or field on Broadcast shoots. It definitely helps for 'stability' on movement, but it's imperitive that the controlls be located on the grips of the handles. Zoom and VidRet on the right for instance, Focus on the left handle. Lots of the lanc controllers will put the zoom and focus together on the same unit, which is okay too, but I perfer the different handles with different controlls.

If you don't have camera controlls on the handles, it defeats the purpose of the stability, you'll just be letting go and 'bumping' more often.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks again Richard mighty helpful mighty helpful.

At present I don't zoom, planning to use just a few seconds of the shot as the plane passes right opposite or mid point of the run, but I can see an A1 LANC controller in the picture soon.

BTW what is VidRet?
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

VidRet = Video Return.

It 'returns' the master signal back to the camera monitor. In other words, when I push the button on the video return, my monitor on my camera will show me the actual MASTER IMAGE as it is being switched. Comes in handy if the director is doing a composite shot. You see your shot as it is overlaid/mixed with the other element. Helps you frame better with graphics and PiP and such.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ah, thanks again.
Cheers.
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Allan,

Check my past posts for Pics of the two sets I've custom made for my Tri-Pods. They are also extendable. Cheap and easy to make.

You might also like the articulating Cam to Head mount I made up. Lets you have the Cam where you need it, while keeping the handles where you need them.

I tend to use them as you want too, for the better control and stability.

I also made up my IR Remotes to be used by FiberOptic cables - to all 5 of my Cams. I also use a Sony T-Pod wired remote handle.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Major Player

If you want to have two handles when you're on a tripod and have one of them stay with the camera when you go hand-held, you could always try the "Cam Handle":

http://www.camhandle.com/
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads