Is this old sachtler going to be much better? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 4th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Is this old sachtler going to be much better?

Will this old sachtler be much better than my 503 with alluminum manfrotto sticks? I've been dissatisfied with my 503, especially when it comes to panning. I know alot has to do with my poor technique, so would this combo even help?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112137

I do alot of nature videography and sports. Right now I realize for an HV20 and Brevis it's overkill but I'm hoping to get an XLh1 or Pmw Ex1 in the next year.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Wrangler

it's not even a contest. That Sachtler will outperform the 503 by a country mile if you have a camera load heavy enough for it.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Matt..............

I concur with Greg. Absolutely.

Reservations?

1. Getting the weight range to activate the counterbalance system correctly.

2. That is one heavy setup. Very desirable bells and whistles but I think you may well find in the long run it's just too much. Before committing yourself I suggest putting together a pile of gear that weighs the same and try lugging it around for half an hour - you'll see what I mean.

Poor technique? With a 503, technique doesn't enter into the equation.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads