Review on Manfrotto 526 head - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Hey Ashok................

Just did a search of the B&H web site to put that equipment profile to the test. Took the max price up to $1250 as that was the step the site had. Came up with this list of contenders:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...t=Submit+Query

I suppose the next BIG Q is - who knows anything about Cartoni?

That L506 looks interesting with the smatstop feature, tho' remember you'd still need to buy a mid level spreader for it as well. The L502 is quite a bit cheaper and with a spreader would probably top out @ just over a grand.

So people, who's got a good word (or otherwise) for Cartoni?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Chris. Just a clarification, I need to change only the tripod & retain 519 right?
Ashok Mansur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi.....

Yeah,

at this point, I cannot see any reason to change the head.

If it's counterbalancing OK with your current rig and otherwise OK, I cannot see any other culprit here but the sticks themselves.

(And owning a set of 520's, the 525's predecessors, I always knew they were going to be iffy for this application).

CS
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi Chris...

Still a week for expo, just for academic curiosity how about 528XB though it's a hernia inducers (your words). The stability wise I think it's one of the better one by Manfrotto. What is the advantage with double tube legs, most of the video legs are double tube only. There are very few which uses single tube.
How do you rate 528XB with Fibertec, I know they are two different poles.
Doesn't the spreader comes with tripod, it almost cost the price of 525.

Ashok
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Strewth...............

How did I miss this post?

Hmmm, the 528XB's.

Yep, hernia inducers of major proportions. BUT, exceedingly stable as you'd expect from 40 mm diameter leg tubes.

But, their minimum height is huge, the spreader is bolted on so can't be detached, and getting them to maximum height will not only do your hernia no favours but do your back in as well.

They are superb for the job they were designed for (holding jibs) but having tried to use them for "out and abouting" (where they were indeed almost up there with the FiberTec's rigidity wise) I rapidly got the point of not wanting to get them out of the car (and no, you wouldn't want to carry the things far, that's for sure).

So, tell us, what happened? How did it work out? Have you got a new set of sticks?

CS
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Chris.

You see the culprit was not 525 its 519, when the tilt lock is fully tightened (locked) still there is a play tilt wise. B'cos of that the shake occurs, this is a fault of the manufacturer or design mistake.
Anyway I'm getting the 526 with my 525(modified to 100mm receiver) for a week trial & let you know the results.

Ashok
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Ashok........

Was wondering how this saga was playing out.

Good to hear you have a trial period.

Keep us posted, I'm fascinated to hear how this works out.

Thanks for letting me know.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads