Shorter Nut for Attaching Gitzo G1380 Head to High Hat at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old March 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Trustee

Shorter Nut for Attaching Gitzo G1380 Head to High Hat

I have this head, a Gitzo G1380:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...luid_Head.html

I want to put the head on a high hat. However, the Giant nut that screws onto the bolt out of the bottom of the head is too long to fit in the space under the mounting position on the high hat.

Where can a get a nut (with a star handle instead of a long handle?) to attach the Gitzo head to a high hat?

Thanks!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jack.................

"Giant Nut" - I love it!

It's actually called a "Bowl Clamp", but we'll move swiftly on............

Unless someone with an encyclopedic memory can pipe up with a thread size off the top of their head, my best guess would be to take either the Clamp or the head, or both, into a hardware store and start trying different nut/ bolt sizes till you can determine just what size and thread the head bolt is.

Armed with that you can at least narrow the field a bit.

If push came to shove, you could - er, no you couldn't (I was going to suggest a common or garden nut and decent sized washer, but that would only let you tighten the head in one position, with the washer straddling the bowl exit port, not too clever if the high hat isn't level).

Hmm, it's that bowl clamp cup that's going to be the bugger here.

The clamp on the Gitzo looks identical to that on a Manfrotto (or very similar - not that that's any help to you) - long and thin. The clamp on my Vinten is quite different, being very stocky and with a starred/ lobed handle, still no help as the thread on the Vinten is Imperial and the one on the Manfrotto is Metric (I say that for no other reason than I know the one will not fit on the other, it could just be a different metric size/ thread spacing however).

Still no help to you.

Hmm, okay, back to the hardware store and check for size/ thread and see if they've got an appropriate lobed handle and/or a nut and cupped washer that can pretend to be a clamp cup.

Best I can do for the moment.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

More..........

Hmm, well, think the bolt may be a 3/8" - 16, for what it's worth (but then again, it may not be, best to comfirm, the more I think of it, that really doesn't look right!).

The only solution I've been able to add to the previous post is to buy a replacemnt clamp from Gitzo and hacksaw enough off the bottom to make it fit.

Not particularly elegant, but should work.

Still thinking.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #4
Trustee

The thread looks special, but I don't know.

I have a Cartoni but it doesn't fit.

I don't think the Bogen threads are the same. The plates on the Bogen and Gitzo are interchangeable, but the handles have different threads between the Bogen and Gitzo.

Tomorrow I will go to the hardware store and see if any threads match.

Thanks for the suggestions! But I doubt I will saw a piece off the head. I have a Cartoni head that fits on the hi hat, but it uses a different plate so it's not so quick to put the camera on it.
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Jack, I had a same problem with both of mine. I called Bogen, (I know the warehouse manager personally) He find only one for me, so for lower shots I used that one. He said they can't find one more in the whole warehouse.
If you want try to call him, his name is Ken Emker at Bogen New York, may they find one for you.
I just sold recently both of mine Gitzo heads.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath View Post
Jack, I had a same problem with both of mine. I called Bogen, (I know the warehouse manager personally) He find only one for me, so for lower shots I used that one. He said they can't find one more in the whole warehouse.
If you want try to call him, his name is Ken Emker at Bogen New York, may they find one for you.
I just sold recently both of mine Gitzo heads.

Laszlo
Thanks! I will try.

Did you replace your heads with another brand? If so, which one? Thanks, again.
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
Thanks! I will try.

Did you replace your heads with another brand? If so, which one? Thanks, again.
Yes, with (2) Vinten Vision 6 on Miller Solo alu. legs.
Extremely similar, but no need to change springs. I love them, like I loved the Gitzos
The Vision 6 head is $2000 I think the the Gitzo is very under priced for $999. It's worth $1400 easily.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Extremely similar, but no need to change springs. I love them, like I loved the Gitzos
The Vision 6 head is $2000 I think the the Gitzo is very under priced for $999. It's worth $1400 easily.

Laszlo
Yes, I find the Gitzo working very well. I'm putting it on Gitzo Series 3 XLS tripod. It's very versatile and easy to travel with.
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:

Laszlo
Yes, I find the Gitzo working very well. I'm putting it on Gitzo Series 3 XLS tripod (very similar the the Miller, I believe). It's very versatile and easy to travel with.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads