Secced tripods a good alternative ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 18th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Secced tripods a good alternative ?

Anyone have experience with the Secced tripods from China ? They are offering crazy low prices in Europe...
It seems to be a copy of the Sachtler 064x/0650...

I cannot believe these are real alternatives to the original Sachtler...
Currently I am searching for a good solution for my EX1, which should be capable to comfortably carry the Letus Extreme plus lenses as well...
Although I got an extremely low price offer for the Secced copy, I am concerned about the quality !
But I have never seen the Secced and so cannot talk from experience. Maybe someone can comment from experience ...
The dealer is unfortunately not around the Corner to check it out...

The production facilities of the big brands are probably in China anyway...;-)

Any comments on Secced stuff ?

Ulli
Ulli Grunow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Ulli,

Where did you get those prices? Can you PM them to me?

Thanks a lot neighbour!
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
Ulli,

Where did you get those prices? Can you PM them to me?

Thanks a lot neighbour!
Nothing particular - but I saw the offers of various UK dealers in the UK, selling these tripods - just google... The Secced tripods are really cheap, if you compare it with Sachtler/Vinten pricing.
Ares 1 en Ares 2 are 75mm
Ares 3 and up are 100mm for ENG/EFP...

They seem to be popular in Asia - anyone here who can comment on quality and handling ? They have exhibited at NAB - unfortunately, I couldn't be there this year...

Ulli

P.S: greetings to the other side of Belgium, Ivan...
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Major Player

They will be at IBC 2008 if you can wait that long.

Also found a French website with the prices in Euro.
http://www.videoplusfrance.com/bouti...39/trepied.htm

Anyone tried them out at NAB this year?
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Tourist

Secced Tripods

Yes I bought the basic Secced Ares 1 from Digibroadcast for £375 plus VAT.

An amazing tripod for the price ( 3 drag levels and 75mm bowl) complete with floor spreader and soft canvas carry bag - the bag is useless because with the floor spreader on it doesn't fit the bag - so I'm awaiting delivery of a Petrol tripod bag.

A crib of a Sachtler at a third of the price - it's a smooth mover and a perfect support for my Sony V1e camera!
Harley Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

That system looks very solid indeed. have you guys read any reviews on the Secced brand? I'm very interested.
Todd Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Secced ARES 3 with EX1

Just to let the community know:
I am using the ARES 3 for some time now together with my EX1 and I must say it is worth the price at least. I cannot compare directly with any Sachter (about double the price), but I must also say that I have never suffered in any situation with this ARES 3 system.

The EX1 is probably a little too light weight for the ARES 3, if you only use the camera on it - although it balanced nicely and it is very smooth to pan.
But the real advantage is when you want to expand your rig (35mm adaptor, large 35mm lens) it is exactly right for EX1 and those expansions! The ARES 3 provides the extra stability you need with a expanded EX1 rig. I was looking for something which can grow with the camera (using lots of accessories) - so the ARES 3 did a nice job for me...

The ARES 3 has very sturdy carbon sticks also - really not a bad deal, I think I did...

The other day I had to film a speed boat race and I also took some shots from the pier. The distance to the boats really require a very long zoom and standing at the pier front the wind was blowing heavily. As the speedboats passed, I had to pan in these very windy conditions... no problem - sticks and fluid head provides stability in these difficult conditions.

So if you have a dealer arround, selling those tripods, check them out.
Secced also was present at last IBC in Amsterdam.

regards,

Ulli
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Weifeng is doing nice tripod too.
they got a wide choice.
i ordered already 3 weifeng EI-717 , that cost $150 each.
it is a bit difficult to find a seller, but there is an excellent one on ebay.
http://www.geocities.com/oldenglishchina/ei717t.jpg

do not forget to order the second handle ans some spare quick plate
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #9
Major Player

I have a Secced.

It works okay and I quite like the legs but I have had problems with the head. The balancing plate keeps coming loose and having taken it apart several times I think that it is poorly built. The case is also very poorly designed and I have replaced it - the buckle digs into your shoulder when you carry it - sounds like a minor moan but is VERY annoying!

They are very cheap - good value if they work but buy better if you can.
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
I have a Secced.

It works okay and I quite like the legs but I have had problems with the head. The balancing plate keeps coming loose and having taken it apart several times I think that it is poorly built. The case is also very poorly designed and I have replaced it - the buckle digs into your shoulder when you carry it - sounds like a minor moan but is VERY annoying!

They are very cheap - good value if they work but buy better if you can.
Mike,
which Secced are you using ?
What equipment you are using on the Secced (total weight on the head ?)
I had some problems with my balancing plate earlier - but not as you mentioned. Mine, was difficult to adjust as intended on my ARES 3 set - the balancing plate was not able to slide over the whole range as intended. But after some direct support from Secced people (at IBC) there is no problem any more.
It works very well. However the bare camera (SONY EX1) is a little too light weight for the 100mm fluid head.... headroom for accessories though (Letus Extreme/ultimate and additional lenses)

Ulli
Ulli Grunow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads