503 HDV issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Inner Circle

503 HDV issues

Somethings out of wack. I have somehow miss adjusted my new 503 HDV head to the point that 1) I get a popping noise when I go from 1,2,3 and off on the counter balance (the noise is when I pull back on the head similar to a 10 speed dropping into gear) and 2) I can only stabilize my tripod head by locking it with the flared lever, or turning the fluid drag on the left fully tight.

I called tech support at bogen, and they were very little help. The guy got snippy with me because I told him that the Bogen website was hard to navigate. Anyone run into this issue?

In other words, when all is said and done, I can get better action out of my old 503 head, this one I can't get to balance.
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Major Player

I have had the popping noise too. I think it's just the spring engaging. Does the spring engage, are you still getting any counterbalance? I have been disappointed with the 503 HDV. There is not enough tilt drag at all, but I have been able to balance my camera (DVC30.) What kind of camera do you have?
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, I figured something was popping in, and yea, I've been dissapointed with the 503hdv. Mainly because the literature is horrible. And when I asked bogen tech support about it, they seemed lost like I did.

I've tried my Sony V1u and Sony Z1u and neither will really balance, I mean what's the point of tilt drag if I have to tighten in all the way to stop the camera from falling?

Sigh, I have too much Bogen stuff to change brands.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, my tilt drag is as tight as it gets, and still its about half as tight as the Vinten heads (set to level 3) I use at the TV studio. I got it for Christmas though, so I'll live with it for now.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

See, I was under the impression, I could balance the thing without locking the triangle lever down any, but I haven't been able to.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, you should be able to. I'm able to balance my DVC30 on setting 1, even with a wide angle and wireless receiver. I just have to slide the plate back all the way when it gets really front heavy.
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm still working with it. I still don't have the same action that I do with my older 503. Thanks for the boost though, I'll continue working on it.

About the fluid drag, yeah, I agree, it's pointless more or less since I have to pretty much tighten mine all the way, or mostly all the way.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The click is caused by the counter spring engaging. It's by design so there's not much you can do about it. I just picked one up and it works well with my HVX. I set it up by the manual; loosened all locks and set the counter spring to zero. Balance the camera so it doesn't tilt fore or aft, then set the counter spring on 3 and add a little drag to keep it from drifting. Works well for me so far! Of course it's only a few weeks old so we'll see how long it lasts.
Andy Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:01 AM   #9
Trustee

Is the 503hdv a genuine fluid head ? If so then it should be possible to replace the fluid with some heavier(thicker) fluid.

Does anyone know what grade fluid is in them as standard ?
Some oil desidned for motorcycle suspension would do the trick.
I've got experience with forks,fluids etc.

I have to turn the drag all the tilt drag all the way up also.

Paul.
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM   #10
Major Player

I struggled with the 503hdv to get it to balance properly and I could never get the drag to work well - I got mine last month and ended up selling it on ebay last week.
I would sooner have no controls at all than have to try and get this head to work well.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:38 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hey Jon, what alternative or other head did you go with after you sold your 503.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Major Player

I am still looking for a replacement to the 503HDV - a new tripod system in fact.

A bargain buy is a Libec 38 which is a small step up IMHO. This head is better than I imagined with built in drag - there is very little to control. Legs feel rigid.
I think I may go up to the sachtler FSB-6, which is where a lot of shooters end up. It really is a nice fluid head.
I travel in fairly remote locations, so I am looking at carbon fiber - adds quite a bit to the price. The Miller Solo sticks would be good with a FSB6 head or even the Miller D-10 which is a combo that B & H sell.

I have a month before my next shoot, so I will report on my purchase decision.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Well I'm sending mine into Bogen. I called an upper level dude there and he says I should not have to tighten my fluid drag so much to keep the tripod from tilting.

He also told me my Z1u is too light for the head, but the manual for the head says the head will hold down to 2.5lbs pounds.

So, I have to figure out a weekend that I can live without the head, since I'll be without it for a bout a week and change.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM   #14
Trustee

Steven,

Darn right, it should be able to balance a Z1. My V1 balances pretty well (almost perfectly!) on my Pro-6HDV (aka 503HDV with a paint job) at counterbalance setting 2 or 3 depending on what it's loaded up with.

Tilt friction is a bit feeble, I'll admit. But mine balances with tilt friction turned off completely.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Well, I can get it to balance, so to speak, but I can't get better action than my old 503, even my old 501. The guy at BH Photo said he's heard my complaint from others. We'll see what Bogen can come up with. I'll report back.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads