Too much weight? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Too much weight?

I use Gitzo 1228LVL and 1227LVL tripods. I thought they were rated at 23 lbs capacity but now I have been informed that 17 lbs is correct. My camera and fluid head weigh in at 16.4 lbs. Should I be concerned? I wonder if the 17 lb weight capacity is conservative because of product liability issues and that the actual capacity is greater. My tripods have been replaced by a model GT2530LVL which is listed with a capacity of 23lbs. Funny, I can't see any difference among the three models.

JoJo
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Major Player

The GT2530LVL introduced a couple of improvements like additional carbon fiber layers and stronger leg locks that you can't really tell by looking at it. According to the marketing blurb:
  • 6X Carbon Fiber - maximizes rigidity, vibration absorption, and lightweight performance.
  • Anti Leg Rotation system - allows the tripod to be opened in less than 15 seconds. Simply loosen all the twist locks on each leg at the same time, then pull the leg down and tighten the locks individually.
  • G-LOCK Leg Locking System - increases rigidity, faster operation and stronger, safer locking. G-Lock’s special design also provides a “gravity lock” effect: the higher the load applied vertically to the leg, the stronger the lock.
I don't think I would put 17 lbs on the tripods that you have. These are "2" series Gitzo tripods and are mainly meant for lightweight use. I tend to be conservative, though, and never load tripods to anywhere near their limit. Usually the legs won't break but the leg locks might slip or fail, which could cause the tripod to tip over and smash the camera. For a 17 lb load, I'd look for a tripod with at least double the capacity. But that's just me.
Tim Le is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads