Sachtler FSB6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 10th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #1
Trustee

Sachtler FSB6

I would like to by a Sachter FSB6 set up with a 2 stage tripod and mid level spreader for around $800. Am I crazy hoping for a miracle or is this a fair price to pay? I have been watching all the usual places, ebay, craigslist, this forum but I don't even see any used ones for sale. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay for such a setup?

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #2
Major Player

For $800 IŽll take two... Never seen them that cheap.
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Trustee

What's a reasonable amount to expect to pay for one?
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
What's a reasonable amount to expect to pay for one?
New or second hand?

New, B&H have it from $1300 to $2000 (from memory) depending on the tripod (1 or 2 stage, alloy or carbon fibre).

I'm now working my way towards a DV6-SB, which is similar but a slightly beefier head. $800 would just about buy you a Bogen/Manfrotto or low-end Vinten.

Also, does anyone know why the FSB range has totally failed to appear with UK dealers a whole year after they were launched?
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Trustee

I"m looking to buy one used (second hand). Right now I have a Cartoni Action Pro so going to a Bogen or similar wouldn't really be an improvement. I was looking at something like this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...um_Tripod.html

B&H has it for $1439.95 (US). Do these used really hold their value that much? If I have to spend much over $1000 for a used set up I'm thinking buying a new one would be a better way to go.

I also have a Miller DS10 with two stage legs and mid spreader so another option would be to look for a used head and use the Miller sticks.

Any thoughts or suggestions for what would be a good match for my XH A1 would be appreciated. I do a lot of dance recitals/plays so I'm doing a lot of panning and some tilts. That's where I'm finding that I need something a little smoother than what I've got now.

Thanks
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Trustee

I have a Gitzo 1380 head I have used with an XH-A1 at dance recitals:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...luid_Head.html

This head is very smooth, it has a 75mm bowl that will fit your Miller legs, it comes with all the springs incase you change cameras, and it has continuous drag so you can balance your camera and set the drag so that it will stay whereever you move it.

There is a long plate available (same as a Bogen), that can be useful.

The Sachtler is very nice, but I have never seen one used. It has a 75mm bowl that you can use with the Miller legs, but the Sachtler is priced such that it's not worth getting the head alone--you don't get that much of a discount by leaving out the legs.

The FSB6 is a relatively new product. There is nothing better to move up to. New cameras people get to replace the one they were using with the FSB6 will most likely be in the same weight range, so the head keeps getting used.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
It has a 75mm bowl that you can use with the Miller legs, but the Sachtler is priced such that it's not worth getting the head alone--you don't get that much of a discount by leaving out the legs.
DV6SB Head alone from BH is about 1600$
2stage alu Legs only about 700$, with no bag.

DV6SB kit is about 1900$ with a padded bag.

I find the Sacthler legs good enough for my use, but they are not as good as their larger models.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads