Recommendation on very durable, sturdy tripod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 27th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommendation on very durable, sturdy tripod?

I own a Canon XH A1, and will be shooting a lot of footage outside. Most of my shots will actually be taken from the middle of some of the rivers around here. I need a tripod that is very durable, very sturdy and can absorb vibration well. Carbon fiber legs would be nice, and a fluid head is a must. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for me? Thanks for your help.
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Major Player

The Big Brown Truck just delivered my new tripod/head kit that will be used with both the XLH1a and XHA1 in outdoor TV productions I shoot. It's a Bogen 535/501HDV kit and I think it's going to make my life so much sweeter. I've gotten used to the 75mm bowl on a Gitzo setup I shoot a lot (not mine) but at twice the money I couldn't justify the expense.

I'm loving this tripod so far though it is several inches longer when folded than my old setup.
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sacthler gets my two cents when it comes to smaller tripod's. Both regarding the feel and durability.

I've basicly dipped my head(dv6sb) and legs(sachlter, 2stage mid spreader) in mud/gravel and just a quick spray of water an there as good as new.

Vinten might be an alternative, but I only have experience with the larger heads from vinten. And some will probably suggest Miller or Cartoni, if you got the cash o'connor....(might be a bit overkill...)
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads