dual-camera tripod head plate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old September 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

dual-camera tripod head plate

I'm looking for a plate that I'd mount to my 501 head that will allow 2-cameras to be mounted to the head, side-by-side.

I shoot high school football games for coaches game film review. One "tight" view and one "wide" view. The visiting video crew I was shooting beside this past Friday night had the exact same tripod and head as I have and had this mounting plate I'm asking about. They said they got it from B&H, but I can't find it.

This would be so much easier than moving 2 cameras on 2 different tripods all while following the game.

The plate was about 8" wide.
Jacob Burson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jacob..................

Try this:

Tripod/Head for dual video cameras - The Digital Video Information Network

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I think it was a quick-release plate....

The more I look at B&H, I think they were using an extra long quick release plate turned sideways. It was long enough to accomodate a XH-A1 and a small, consumer grade camcorder side-by-side.

The native bogen quick-release plate for the 501 was removed and this plate that I'm looking for was installed sideways on top of the head, secured with a long 3/8" screw to the head.

I looked kind of like this.
Cartoni | A500 Quick Release Plate | A500 | B&H Photo Video

But I have no idea how long the above plate is. If it's about 8" long, then it would probably work. If I had access to a machine shop, I could make something up in no time.
Jacob Burson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Burson View Post
I'm looking for a plate that I'd mount to my 501 head that will allow 2-cameras to be mounted to the head, side-by-side.

I shoot high school football games for coaches game film review. One "tight" view and one "wide" view. The visiting video crew I was shooting beside this past Friday night had the exact same tripod and head as I have and had this mounting plate I'm asking about. They said they got it from B&H, but I can't find it.

This would be so much easier than moving 2 cameras on 2 different tripods all while following the game.

The plate was about 8" wide.
Jason, I picked up a Manfrotto 131DDB Tripod Accessory Arm for Four Heads Bogen / Manfrotto | 131DDB Tripod Accessory Arm | 131DDB | B&H

and mount 2 Sony FX1 cameras on two Bogen 702RC HDV fluid heads, and have great results with it.

I mounted a Bogen QR plate on the bottom, so I can mount and unmount the bar from my 501HDV head when needed.

As a matter of fact I am using it this weekend for a BatMitzvah shoot where I am shooting solo. I'll mainly use this for intros and speeches. As I will mount both FX1's on one tripod and use one camera for static framed shots at different focal lengths, and the other camera will be used for panning and closeups (especially during intros).

For a wedding processional, I will have 2 cameras (manned 2nd shooter) mounted in the rear of the church, one aiming down the aisle for wide shots of the alter and the other aimed at the door for closeups of bridal party and bride entering. When the bride enters I get a closeup of her and pan accordingly as she walks past. I am up front hugging the front pew on the grooms side for frontal up the aisle shots.

Then once she is handed off I go to preset tripod on grooms side. And the rear camera will go to 2 static focal lengths, one medium/closeup and one wide.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads