Ka-551u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 19th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Ka-551u

Hi,

I need some help. I have HD100U. I have a heavy duty tripod that is missing a plate. I have a machinist that is able to make me a new wedge plate and I need to configure it to fit the HD100U. I'm wondering if it would be okay to just produce a new wedge that will fit directly to the camera and not purchase the KA-551U. I would like to know the dimensions of the KA-551U. I see there is a v-plate section that comes with the KA-551U. If a new plate is machined and it aligns well with the camera base then it should work without using the KA adapter / v plate....right?

I have been trying to find pictures of the HD100U mounted on tripods and trying to locate pics large enough to see how the professional tripod plates fit into the base of the camera in the correct holes. So far I have not seen any detailed info. On the base of the camera just below where the 2 metal slides are for the "kick-stand" I see 2 small holes out to the left and right which are metal and not on the plastic part of the base. If the newly designed plate fits into those 2 holes as well as the 2 screw holes in the middle of the base, then the camera should be safe on the new tripod plate. The new plate just needs to fit the camera snugly and then slide into the wide H40 head and flip the lock.

If you have info, comments on making the plate or pics let me now. I want to keep this camera as safe as possible. I like the size of the H40 head because it uses a wider and longer plate than my other tripod.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads