Vinten Vision 3 Tripod - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 27th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I'm ready to buy the Vinten Vison 3 with 2-stage CF legs and mid-level spreader for use primarily with an XL1S...

Anybody here have one they'd be willing to sell me for half-price? <grin>

Do you have the mid-level spreader Ken? I'll probably be using this tripod on uneven ground about as often as on even surfaces. Is the spreader worth the extra money?

I'm hoping that I can buy all these tripod items including assorted springs at the same time and maybe get a "package deal" discount price from somewhere, maybe B&H...

Any suggestions on the best place to buy? From one of the forum's sponsors???

Thanks, Ed
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ed,
I do not have the mid spreader for my Vinten. It's in my B&H Wish List...and my birthday is coming up...time to send the link to my wife!

With its central gearing design, and individually adjustable arms, the Vinten mid spreader looks like a thoughtfully designed device. Note that "some assembly required". The kit comes with feet to cover the leg spikes made naked by removal of the ground spreader. There's also some screwdriver work required to fit the new spreader to the legs.

"Worth it"? Hard to say, Ed. The Vinten's ground spreader is a nice design with individually geared arms. I'm inclined to advise that you first try the legs with the standard ground spreader for a while and make the decision based on your personal experience.

BTW, one more little tip on the Vinten. Its feet fit perfectly into a Bogen/Manfrotto folding auto-dolly. I had one from a previous tripod campaign and was delighted that I didn't have to buy Vinten's extremely expensive dolly which also does not have the nice central locking feature of the Bogen.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Ken,

Thanks for the most interesting information! I'll probably do what you suggest and use it with the ground spreader UNLESS I can get a reduced package cost by buying it at the same time as I get the rest of it.

Also, thanks for the dolly info. Tips from someone who actually knows from real-life experience about equipment is far better than most reviews... The Vinten dolly looks like it a lot more substantial than the Bogen, but at a cost of an extra $600 it doesn't look that great. ;o) It's really helpful to find out that the Bogen dolly works well too!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:11 PM   #19
Regular Crew

One more question please? The info about the Vision 3 on the Vinten website refers to (2) two 3/8"-16 screws and a 1/4" pin for connecting the tripod quick-release plate to my camcorder (XL1S).

What have I missed? Doesn't the XL1S tripod mounting socket have a 1/4"-20 thread, not a 3/8"-16 threaded tripod mounting socket? Also, why would the plate have two screws along with the 1/4" pin?

Obviously I'm missing something very obvious & basic, but what???

Thanks, Ed
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:02 PM   #20

No, I think it's 3/8. In any case I had no trouble. The smaller, stationary pin is sometimes called the "VHS locking" pin.

It think it is supplied with two screws (a) as a spare, and (b) I think some of the big cams use two screws.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:36 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Ken... I think I (at least) understand what the 1/4" VHS locking pin is all about. <g>

But, I just now rechecked and I have been attaching a Bogen quick release plate to the XL1S's tripod mounting socket and that plate definitely uses a 1/4"-20 threaded screw...

I figured before I posted that whatever the deal with the Vinten mounting plate might be, the Vision 3 obviously works fine with the XL1S and connects without any problem...

I have to admit though, that I am more confused now than ever... 1/4"-20 --- or --- 3/8"-16 ???

I think I'll just quit sweating the small stuff, bite the bullet and order the Vison 3 system...
Old June 3rd, 2004, 06:01 AM   #22
Warden

The XL1 uses the smaller 1/4-20 thread, while most professional models use 3/8's. The use of two screws is not only more stable, but prevents the camera mounting plate from spinning (and loosening) around a single point. So, the bottom line is two screws are better than one.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 06:48 AM   #23
Trustee

Most prosumer camcorders are 1/4" x 20. Vinten gives you
that and the larger Pro camera screw. The tripod plate attachment
is the one weakness of the Vinten. Here, Bogen has the best and easiest
design imo. Vinten's method is easy to drop/lose.

On the Vinten, you get this piece of plastic that kinda looks like an
open ended wrench that the screw and locking pin snap into each end.

THe original locking pin Vinten handed out would NOT fit into the XL1's
hole. When I was at NAB this year, I went to the Vinten booth and asked
about this issue. I was told that Canon will NOT publish the actual size
of that hole. As you know, it doesn't take it being off by much not to work.
Anyway, they were very cool about it and actually went under the counter
and gave me a new kit of parts . . . that's COOL. Their new model works.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:49 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I see! The "simple" fact is that Vinten includes both screw sizes... The answer seems so obvious to me NOW. <g> Thanks!
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:02 AM   #25
Major Player

I did not get the VHS pin when I got my Vision 3, I had to roder one from B&H... the VHS pin thingy set me back $50 US.... It's merely a 1/4" 20 screw, attached to a plastic hook which also holds a 3/8" screw which is secured to the mounting plate. So, I only have 1 screw physically holding my XL-1.

Could you guys take a picture of your double screw mount? I'm curious to see if mine is different. My tripod is about a year old.

One thing that bothers me with the mounting plate, is that it seems specific to the Vision head. I have a bogen plate that isn't compatible, so I hope I don't lose the Vinten plate... it'll cost an arm to get a replacement.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:04 AM   #26

Well now you've made me look in my Vinten parts kit. Sure enough, the Vinten plate comes with two 3/8" screws, one 1/4" and a locking pin.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:11 AM   #27
Trustee

<<< I hope I don't lose the Vinten plate... it'll cost an arm to get a replacement.>>>

Yup, $135 at B&H!
Old June 12th, 2004, 05:33 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Re: Vinten Vision 3 Tripod

Originally posted by John Locke : "Have any of you been able to actually get your hands on a Vinten Vision 3 tripod and check it out... ...Unfortunately, stores here don't carry it, so I can't get my hands on it to see how it feels."

Just got my Vinten Vision 3 with the mid-level spreader. I don't have the correct spring for using my XL1S yet (B&H is out of stock) but the system feels fantastic... Incredibly smooth pans and tilts and rock-solid support.

Definitely two thumbs up...
Old June 12th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #29
Trustee

Welcome Mr. Baatz to the land of what a fellow shooter coinded, "walking on marshmellows" feel of the Vinten head.

Don't lose the plate/parts ;)
Old June 12th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #30

Good for you, Ed! Here's your first, "I can't believe how good it gets" exercise. Set a little bit of pan drag and -try- to do a jolting pan. That is, just try to come to a jarring stop. Can't do it, can you? Try the same with tilt (when you get the appropriate spring loaded). Can't do that either, can you?

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads