Source for Used Tripods? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 20th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Source for Used Tripods?

We've an S-Type Jib that is just overwhelming our strongest current 100MM Miller Tripod (having to cable tie all the joints to keep them from sliding with the load is not only a PITA, but is dangerous).

Looking to find a 150lb plus payload used 100mm tripod like a Cartoni HD series or similar with a positive lever lock that won't slip or be easily disengaged.

Can't seem to find a good source.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

HI John............

Best I can offer is a set of Manfrotto 528XB's.

Designed for just such a task and may indeed be avaiable S/H.

In fact, here's one I prepared earlier..........

FS: Manfrotto 528XB Heavy Duty Tripod with Kessler Hercules 1.0 Head - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Arriflex & Angenieux to Zeiss & ZGC Visual Products sells Used Motion Picture Equipment usually has used tripods, look for heavy duty Ronford Baker set, they'll hold an elephant.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Best I can offer is a set of Manfrotto 528XB's.

Designed for just such a task and may indeed be avaiable S/H.

In fact, here's one I prepared earlier..........

FS: Manfrotto 528XB Heavy Duty Tripod with Kessler Hercules 1.0 Head - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

CS
Chris:

Finding conflicting info on the payload capacity. Some sites like B&H and Adorama show the payload to be only 66lbs.
Others show the payload to be 110lbs.
Foreign sites show 50kg which converts over to 110lbs.

I think it has a 110lb capacity. Is that what your data shows?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi...............

yeah, those figures are a bit confusing, aren't they?

In "non USA" zones they are rated for 110 lbs, tho' that is waaaaay conservative, 'cos Manfrotto knows only too well most users will exceed "rated" limit by anything up to 300%++!!

The even more conservative USA figure is to stop those nasty law suit thingies when someone does the 300% trick++ and it all goes horribly wrong (as it tends to do when fully loaded tripod is mounted on rails and hits solid object across same with said 300%+++ on board!).

The great thing about the 528's (never shown on any piccies, even on the Manfrotto web site, go figure) is the leg locking pins. These are tethered to the bottom of the upper leg sleeve on a length of steel cable.

Raise tripod to required height, slip the locking leg pins into the appropriate hole in lower leg, lower tripod so upper leg sleeve is sitting across locking pins.

Given that the shear strength of a 6 inch nail is approx. 1/2 TON, you can guess at the force required to shear those pins - they're about as thick as a pencil!

CS
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

John...................

Any feedback on this topic?

CS
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Any feedback on this topic?

CS
Engineers build safety margins into everything they design. I don't think anyone would seriously put a 110lb camera onto that Manfrotto.

Mitchell BNCR

If you're planning on 150lb weights you're into at the very least a 150mm bowl tripod, especially if using a jib. In practise I'd go for a Mitchell mount. Visual Products sell this type of kit second hand.

I've had a 60lb jib setup on a 100mm bowl and it was pretty unstable.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads