Vinten Vision 6 vs Vision 3... and counterbalance weight issue... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Trustee

Joe,

In that case, forget about the plate, forget about the CF legs:

- You don't need much hand-held
- You don't need to pan at 200x zoom, tracking the progress of snail on the horizon
- You probably won't gain that much from the few seconds saved setting up the CF tripod.

The FSB-6 with 2-stage alloy legs and mid spreader will be ideal, and will not break the bank. The Sachtlers have real nice counterbalance adjustment. You don't want to mess around with springs in the field if you find it isn't right. The drag is just superb too. Sure, you could spend $5,000 on a tripod... but I don't think you'd get $4,000 of extra happiness!

I wouldn't worry about the FSB cell. Your FX7 will probably run all day on one Sony 970 battery, at most two batteries - that would run for, what, 10 hours!. You don't need extra power for lighting out there on the paintball field, so there's not a lot of need for it. Cheaper to add some more Sony batteries, I think.
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hear, hear............

I second that recommendation.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #18
Major Player

The one advantage I saw to the CF legs, is maybe they'll absorb hits from paintballs better.

Because what often happens is the legs get shot by paintballs and there's visible shakes in the camera, although it's not THAT bad most of the time, it can still happen.

So instead of a much heavier tripod/setup If the CF legs would help absorb some of that it'd be nice.

I don't know though :)

But I've definitely narrowed my selection down, thanks for the help guys...
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:48 AM   #19
Trustee

You could always wrap the alloy legs with cardboard, bubblewrap, foam rubber or something. Not much of an image, but hey, it would be cheap!
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:55 AM   #20
Major Player

Hehe, I ended up ordering the CF legs anyways, the quick-setup, and I think I found the one with the larger plate (not the touch-n-go) for better counter-balance options. $1600 after shipping

It's a $200 difference, but I'm not that concerned.

also ordered like $700ish in accessories for the FX7, Tripod and the HC5 I just bought off here :)
Joe Busch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads