Bogen 3221/503 and DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old October 28th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bogen 3221/503 and DVX100

Is this tripod system good enought for the DVX100? Is the tripod sturdy enough for the DVX100 when panning, etc?

Is their anyone out there using it for events?

I like the 3221 for it's portability. No need for a spreader and not to bulky. One dislike about the 3221 is the center column. Does anyone had any problem when the column are raised when panning?

I also like the Bogen 525 legs. But it seems like it's really bulky. Does anyone use this set for wedding events?

Thanks in advance.

JR
Ray Saavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

I have the 3221. It's a nice portable tripod as you note. It isn't as sturdy as the Miller that I'm using now though. The only thing I would point out is that the snap locks for the legs are really nasty. Even though I'm fully aware of how they can pinch and bite I still manage to hurt myself! The springs are way overpowered. I read somewhere that you can adjust the tension with an allen wrench, maybe that would help?

When it comes to tripods and heads I'm learning that it really has a lot to do with your type of shooting. If you spend a lot of time at full zoom then you really need a study tripod with a spreader and good fluid head. I was happy with my 3221/501 combo until I started doing more filming from 100' away. There is a huge difference between my Miller DS-5 setup and my old Bogen. But these differences aren't so noticeable at the wide end of the zoom range. And of course the Miller is much larger, heavier and more expensive too...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Ray,

Like Boyd says, what you have seems great till you upgrade! I've been using a 503 with a GL2 and it works great, no complaints. Then I got a Cartoni Alfa II for my other cam and found out just how smooth smooth really is!! I don't think you'll be disapointed with a 503, if it fits your budget, it's a good quality head.

Sticks and Heads seem to be the one thing that it's hard to justify spending a lot of $ on but I think most folks find it's a necessary investment.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 12:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello,

I ended up getting the 525mvb/503 combo for my DVX100. The 503 for the price is great. I did have a problem with the first head that came with the combo. It was sticking in one area when I do a 180 panning but EVS replace it. The 525 with the leveling ball is nice to use. Really quick to level. A little heavy though but very sturdy. Plus it could be set really low. Overall I'm satisfied. Now, I just need to buy a mid level spreader and a spike foot shoes.

JR
Ray Saavedra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads