Miller Tripod DS5 or DS10 for XM2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 13th, 2004, 10:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Miller Tripod DS5 or DS10 for XM2?

Hi All,

I have been researching tripods recently, and I know that the DS5 would be quite sufficient for my XM2's payload, but would the extra features on the DS10 have much of an impact on the XM2's operation? (ie. would it perform better?) The DS10 features I'm refering to are the selectable tilt counterbalance, and adjustable pan and tilt drag.

I have seen Ken Tanaka's post regarding Sachtler DV6, but that is a bit over priced for me at the moment and perhaps an overkill for the XM2.

Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:16 PM   #2
Outer Circle

The DS5 is plenty for the GL2.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jack,
I also have a Miller DS-10 and like it quite a bit.

We have many threads and posts on the Millers, so a Search should be productive. You might be interested in this thread. Although the discussion concerns the DVX100 you can ignore the camera-specific references since the cameras are nearly identical in size and weight. (I have a GL2 and DVX100.)

As Frank noted, the DS-5 will certainly handle the light load of your XM2. Miller makes good products. I do, however, advise tripod/head buyers to consider that this purchase will probably long outlive your current camera. So it often pays to buy just a a bit better of a rig than you really need right now.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 02:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanx guys for your responses.

At the moment I'm getting prices for both models, but the DS10 with two stage legs will probably be my pick especially like you mentioned Ken, it will probably out live the camera, which I haven't really thought about.

Anyway thanx for the links and info!
Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 05:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Just to let you know guys, I have just picked up the miller #824 system, which is a DS5 head with two stage alloy legs, telescopic mid spreader, soft bag, and other accessories.

FYI: Although I didn't get the DS10 (incase of a camera upgrade), I could always upgrade the head at a later stage and keep the legs which will in fact happily hold both the DS10 & DS20 heads without a problem.

In any case, I just don't know how I did without it for so long :)

http://www.miller.com.au/products.cf...0&productID=77

Cheers and again thanx for your help.
Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads