Vinten Vision 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 15th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vinten Vision 3

Okay, have read many a thread on the subject and I am seriously thinking of upgrading from my Vinten Pro 5 Tripod to the Vinten Vision 3 with two stage legs. I'm starting to find the Pro 5's limitations. It's either that or my expectations are rising, probably both! Not yet sure whether to go for Aluminium or Carbon Fibre and have always used the standard ground level spreader but I understand the mid-level spreader would be better for my kind of use but it's price is unbelievable. It's all Wildlife fieldwork with the XL1 which the majority of time would either have the manual 16x lens or Canon EF 100-400mm lens attached to it with lens support rods and the MA200 with batteries etc.

In one of the many threads an observation was made that the plate isn't engineered very well. I think it was by Jacques Mersereau. Is there actually anything major wrong with it that should put second thoughts into my head about buying it?

Also, is the cost of the Mid-Level Spreader worth it? Will I see a real improvement in stability and get my rewards that way?

I was also very pleased about Jacques comment about how good panning is with the 100-400 lens.

Thank you

Gareth
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Outer Circle

DV Magazine wrote a Vision 3 review a while back. It's probably still up on their website. They went into a lot of detail.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Frank.

Found it and very helpfull it is.

I have found a local company that can get in the aluminum two stage legs and carbon fibre two stage legs with Vision 3 Head, floor spreader and mid-level spreader on sale or return from Vinten. So I can go and have a good play and see which is best.

Gareth
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #4
New Boot

i got the vision 3 head with the cf 2 stage legs and mid level spreader with feet. i use a dvx100a and the number 1 spring balances it perfectly. where ever i tilt the head it stays in position in the loosest setting. i see nothing wrong with the plate, but i am using a mini dv, maybe a bigger cam had problems. the knob that holds the plate is the only thing i could complain about, but have never had problems with it and if i am paranoid i would just put a piece of gaff tape on it. if you can afford it i highly recommend it.
Riad Deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Cheers Riad

Apparently Vinten had a few instances where the unthreaded screw bit (don't know it's proper name) didn't properly fit the hole on the bottom of the XL1 where you attach the plate so effectively the plate was only attached by the threaded screw.
The problem being the camera could move around on the plate.

Anyway, after speaking to Vinten they confirm that problem has been rectified.

Gareth
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads