Cartoni Alfa II questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Cartoni Alfa II questions

I just recently bought a used Cartoni Alfa II, it seems like it's in good shape, but I have two questions.

1) The mounting plate doesn't seem to lock in quite a tight as I think it should. I wouldn't say it simply slides of when the camera is on the tripod, but it seems that if the camera is given a jolt it will move. Of course, I'm not in the habit of giving my camera a good push, my only concern is that if the camera is titled down, is there a chance that it could slide off the tripod. So is there a way to tighten the latch that holds the plate on?

PS I know someone mentioned that you need snap the lever in a little further even after the plate is on. I did do this, but still its seems like it might not be quite tight enough.

2) I'm not sure what set of Cartoni legs I have, but they are two stage aluminum, and when I first unlocked the bottom stage with the feet, I was up off the ground a bit, and the leg just slipped right out of the tripod. Of course I realize that tripods vary quite a bit, but I was under the impression that most of them stop when they have extended as far as they can. Since these are used, I'm not sure if that's normal, or if they are broken.

Any input on this would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Kenneth Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Kenneth...................

Sounds to me like the plate lock lever may need a bit of adjustment.

When in the locked position, the plate should have no movement whatsoever and certainly not just slide off the head (tho' there should be interlocks/ stops to prevent that happening anyway).

Can't advise exactly how as I've never seen one, but adjustment there must be, somewhere.

Yep, you've sussed it, some repairs required on the sticks to boot.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Major Player

The Cartoni tripod legs are probably the T622/2.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Trustee

On the Cartoni heads the plate locking can be confusing.

First, the plate triggers the lock and it snaps shut. However, this isn't all there is to it.

Next, you have to continue to push the lever in the same direction, and then it will lock.

Unless you push the lever, the plate seems to be locked, but it is a bit loose.

There is a screw to incease the tension on the lock. However, more than likely, the problem is that you are not pushing the lever to lock the plate. It takes a bit of pressure, but not a great amount.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:49 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks! I had someone mention to me about pushing the lever that little extra bit once before. And I found the screw on the side of the head for tightening the locking mechanism. It seems that the combination of the two has pretty much resolved the issue.

I appreciate the help. Thank you! :-)
Kenneth Gurney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads