Tripod & Teleprompter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod & Teleprompter

Hi. I have a Libec LS55 and have borrowed a teleprompter from a friend. It is a Q-gear one (Q-Gear Teleprompters). Can anyone advise on the following:
(i) Is the Libec LS55 tripod too light to hold this teleprompter & the camera (Z5E)?
(ii) What is the best way to connect the teleprompter to the tripod? The mounting plate that comes with the tripod doesn't seem to connect to the teleprompter as the screws within the plate are too small. Any suggestions as to what I could try?
(iii) What screws would be best to connect the camera (Z5E) to the teleprompter?

Unfortunately whilst I have all the other parts of the teleprompter, there weren't any additional screws!

Many thanks
James Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You haven't said which one it is, but the big problem with any prompter is the extra mass and inertia of what you have sitting on top. when the thing is level, then it sits on the small tripod plate in the head fairly well. What happens is if you tilt down or up, the stresses are not balanced out by the head, and the wedge plate starts to move, unseating itself at the front or rear - the top plate is just too small to take the stress. My autocues are heavier than these, having a crt not lcd screen, but there is no way I'd try them on the Libec 55 I have. Locking off the head gives me over 2 inches of movement due to the wedge plate at the pan handle. On a big Vinten head, the thing is totally solid, so it is a head thing.

If you are intending not doing too much camera movement above or below horizontal, you might get away with it, but at some point the damn thing will slap forwards or back when you forget to return it to balance and lock it.

Mounting screws will be a problem, just make sure you have some correct size bolts and some washers - not too easy at B&Q, they only do metric - but a local engineering company will have what you need.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads