How is the Miller Solo DV20 in windy conditions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How is the Miller Solo DV20 in windy conditions?

Interested in this tripod for outdoor work, it can be quite windy our here. How does this tripod do outside?

Last edited by John Novotny; June 17th, 2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: mistake
John Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi John................

This is getting very monotonous....................

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...r-solo-vj.html

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #3
New Boot

I also try to find out more about it.

Some people like it very much:

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Miller DS20 Tripod Review

Official Tripod F.A.Q's - Page 4 - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

Some like Chris from above donīt :)

I guess i will have to try it out for myself.
Marcus Rieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The DS10 is brilliant. Ive done work in 60kt wind and its been fine. But then, I never let go of the thing anyway.

Mind you, I did get blown over once. tripod, camera and me, the wind was that strong.

Ben

Oh, and I would'nt say this is monotonous, as these questions do pop up from time to time and its quicker to ask than do a search.
(My 2.2c worth, including tax)
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Longden View Post
The DS10 is brilliant. Ive done work in 60kt wind and its been fine. But then, I never let go of the thing anyway.

Mind you, I did get blown over once. tripod, camera and me, the wind was that strong.

Ben

Oh, and I would'nt say this is monotonous, as these questions do pop up from time to time and its quicker to ask than do a search.
(My 2.2c worth, including tax)
Thanks Ben, a lot depends on the weight of the camera. I don't expect the DS - 20 to preform as well as a heavier tripod under certain circumstances. It just needs to be reasonably good under field conditions.

In our area we have several wind energy farms, so we get pretty consistent wind and sometimes high wind.

Last edited by John Novotny; June 25th, 2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
This is getting very monotonous....................

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...r-solo-vj.html

CS
LOL! I did do a search on the forums but so much depends on the terms used.

Also I found a lot of the links were to discontinued products.

Last edited by John Novotny; June 25th, 2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: more
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Rieger View Post
I also try to find out more about it.

Some people like it very much:

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Miller DS20 Tripod Review

Official Tripod F.A.Q's - Page 4 - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

Some like Chris from above donīt :)

I guess i will have to try it out for myself.
I've checked out Mr Blooms review, looks good. He took it with him to Vegas which similar to our climate, we're just colder. Thanks for the links.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Major Player

I have used the Solo 20 setup for a while now and can say it is not up to the task of good HD video for many purposes. It is good for certain shots and low level shots due to its leg design.

The legs do wind up a bit and it really shows near long end of the zoom range of the stock lens. Anything longer focal length and it is not really usable for anything other than lock down shots in still or light air movement. Even with the stock lens it needs this care to some extent depending on the focal length in use.

The head is balanced just right for the EX3 on the low spring setting. The fluid motion is OK for very carefully manipulated moves, but it has to be treated with such care it gets in the way of efficient work. It needs higher drag for smoother moves but the drag is not adjustable. There is added friction that can be added but it adds mechanical friction and not additional fluid resistance so the added drag adds all the bad things one wants to avoid by buying a proper fluid head.

The pan and tilt locks are advertised as movement free because they are claimed to be disc brakes. They are in a fashion in that the locking screw jams against a disc but the rotation of the locking screw still causes motion on lock and unlock. Perhaps a small slug placed in front of the locking screw face could make this problem go away.

The DV20 Solo setup is not suited to everyday use. It has it's place in being compact and light when that is the most important criteria for a shoot such as minimal airline carry or getting a tripod into a place on a long hike or climb. Used with kid gloves, it can be forced into service but it sure is frustrating when you need to get the shot done now.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads