Tripod and Fluid Video Head for 5D Mark II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod and Fluid Video Head for 5D Mark II

What do you all think of something like this for a beginners rig? Too much? Overkill?
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...6/_MG_1838.jpg

Its made up of the following...

1. Manfrotto 503HDV Video Head+351MVB2 Trpd.+350SPRB Spreader + Bag - $650
2. Red Rock Follow Focus - $675
3. IndiFocus Rods indiRAILSpro 18 - $150

Or would I be better off with the Libec LS-38M(2A) for the same price as the Mafrotto stuff?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...od_System.html

PS. Not shooting anything professional or semi-pro, just my own creative stuff right now and learning my camera.
Christopher McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Major Player

You seemed to have been overlooked in this thread so lets talk about your needs.

In another thread you said you have the Gitzo tripod as here:
Gitzo | GT3531LSV Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod | GT3531LSV
but you don't have the 75mm bowl version but your are getting the bowl.

What you need to do to make sure you get the right head is wiegh the gear you intend to connect to the head. The price you mentioned is up to $700 as a top end.

If your gear weighs less than 8 lbs then maybe, no idea if it is any good, the Libec H22 head MIGHT do the job. It appears to be good for 4 lbs and 8 lbs for each of its counterbalance settings. I have no experience with this head so it would be your gamble.
Libec | H22 Professional Fluid head with H22DV-7 Handle | H22
I know that the Manfrotto 503 is not up to HD usage.

If you are above 9 lbs, don't bother with the Libec 38 as it is a fixed counter balance and won't be easy to use.

If you can stand to break your $700 ceiling a bit, you will be much happier. It will involve buying a system, meaning it will come with a tripod as it doesn't come by itself. The head I am talking about is the FSB-4 and it is at B&H as this:
Sachtler | 0372 FSB-4 Aluminum Tripod System | 0372 | B&H Photo

If your weight is lower than 9 lbs, this will be your best bet by a long shot. It has much more adjustability for different weights, more drag settings, and very good feel. You might even find a use for the free legs too. It is only $100 more than what you want to spend and you might be able to sell the legs for that and get everything you want for the right price.

Please consider this as it gives you a real system.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Les, this was over looked thats what brought me into posting into others threads.
I appreciate the feedback. I will seriously consider this setup, it looks like an awesome one, Sachtler have some nice looking stuff.
My 5D Mark II and 24-70mm lens is roughly ~ 3 - 5 lbs. Can I buy just the FSB-4 alone? I don't think I can.

What if I just got this Vinten to go with my Gitzo GT3541LS?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._and_Tilt.html

I plan to mount this on my GT3541LS legs to support a Fluid Video Head:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=569209&is=REG

Or do I just need the 75mm bowl adapter?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Adapter.html

I'm sort of confused with all these options.
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher McCord View Post
Thanks Les, this was over looked thats what brought me into posting into others threads.
I appreciate the feedback. I will seriously consider this setup, it looks like an awesome one, Sachtler have some nice looking stuff.
My 5D Mark II and 24-70mm lens is roughly ~ 3 - 5 lbs. Can I buy just the FSB-4 alone? I don't think I can.

Vinten | Pro-6 Pan and Tilt Head | V4018-0001 | B&H Photo Video

Gitzo | GS5121LV Leveling Base | GS5121LVL | B&H Photo Video

Gitzo | GS5320V75 75mm Bowl Adapter | GS5320V75 | B&H Photo Video

If the center column is removable (both the column and the collar, using an allen wrench), then for the head you link, which has a 75mm half ball mount, you need the Gitzo bowl adapter, the last item you link. This goes into the main collar at the top of the tripod after you remove the column and column collar.

(The second item you link is to give a flat base head a half ball connection. The Vinten tripod you link already has the half ball.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
No, I don't think it is sold by itself.

Quote:
Vinten | Pro-6 Pan and Tilt Head | V4018-0001 | B&H Photo Video
That is the same head as the Manfrotto 503, not good enough.

Quote:
Gitzo | GS5121LV Leveling Base | GS5121LVL | B&H Photo Video

Gitzo | GS5320V75 75mm Bowl Adapter | GS5320V75 | B&H Photo Video

You just need the bowl adapter I believe. I cannot see what you have on your tripod. If you don't have a bowl then you need the second thing you linekd as Jack said I believe.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ok, I get it. My GT3541LS has a removeable flat base.
So if the Fluid Head I go with has a flat base, I'll need the leveling base (1st link) so that it has a bowl. If the head I go with has the bowl already I just need the bowl adapter for it to sit in.

That makes sense.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Of all the FVH's here in this list, which 3 would you suggest I consider?

Professional Video Tripod Fluid Heads | B&H Photo Video
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Christopher..................

If that list is "the line up" of possibles, I'm very tempted to recommend the VariZoom, as it totally eliminates counterbalance from the equation.

However, it's down sides could be a bit daunting:

Extra weight, extra height, don't know just how fiddly it is to get the camera positioning absolutely spot on, no quick release (think that latter could be fixed with a Manfrotto plate unit tho').

Still, you don't win "Best in Show" at Crufts, er, NAB, by being a complete, er, dog.

Don't fancy any of the rest to be honest, counterbalance alone being an issue with most, before you start on anything else.

Still need a pretty good set of sticks under it, and with it's increased weight and height, better than with any of the others.

I'll be intrigued to see what other responses you get.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Of all the FVH's here in this list, which 3 would you suggest I consider?

Professional Video Tripod Fluid Heads | B&H Photo Video
I already gave my recommendations and out of all them in that list I would go with the Libec H22 as it is cheap and might work well enough. It is cheap enough that it when you want to move up to spending $800 on the FSB-4 it won't hurt as much that you didn't in the first place.
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

You're getting soft in your old age Les.
Peter Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Nagy View Post
I already gave my recommendations and out of all them in that list I would go with the Libec H22 as it is cheap and might work well enough. It is cheap enough that it when you want to move up to spending $800 on the FSB-4 it won't hurt as much that you didn't in the first place.
Thanks Guys. Les I was just looking for another choice if I decided to go with just a Fluid Video Head and use it on my GT3541LS legs. The Sachtler FSB-4 you recommended is awesome and comes with its own legs, and is still in my radar. I just wanted opinions on "just a head"...wished I could buy the Sachtler heads alone?
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #12
Trustee

Christopher,

You might want to try contacting Sachtler directly, or a Sachtler importer rather than a retailer - they may be able to do a deal on a head.

If you can't afford the Sachtler, and can't wait, I'm with Les on the Libec H22. Having owned a LS-22 head, it's not bad, and isn't too expensive, so when you do upgrade it's not a huge loss - and you could keep the LS-22 for a second camera or as a spare. The only thing really wrong with it (as a low end head) is the lack of adjustable drag, at least from my perspective.
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #13
Regular Crew

You guys are all read serious videographers and I'm just now learning to use my 5D Mark II as a stills camera with high hopes of getting some good video from it...

I feel overwhelmed with all these video head suggestions.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #14
Regular Crew

anyone have any experience with the secced ares 2? How does secced compare with libec?
Ericsson San Pablo Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads