Sachtler FSB 6 or FSB 8 or Vinten vision 3 AS - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old August 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
I've just looked at the pictures of the vision 3as head, i see what you mean about the locking handle having 3 big lobes.

Would the manfrotto locking handle screw onto the vinten ? I wonder if the thread size is the same ?
The thread on the vinten lock and the Bogen are not the same.

If the same thread is used on the 3AS as on the 3, it would match the Gitzo... and if it is the same, it is a double-threaded screw that won't match anything else and can't be easily made.

However, it is likely the head will fit on your Bogen tripod. The best would be to try it. Take your tripod somewhere where there is a head and see if it works.

As Chris has pointed out in several cases, even though the mounts are the same size, the way they are actually made may or may not allow one brand head to be used on another brand tripod. Sometimes it works well, sometimes just okay, sometimes it doesn't.

Regarding the plate, this comes with the head. You want to use the correct plate for the head on your camera. The plates (in both regular length and extended lengths) are usually sold separately. The plates are shown on Page 6 of the Vinten Price List that Chris links to in another thread (3rd link in the 1st post):
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...ad-review.html

Again, the locking nut on the Vinten head may not cause a problem with your tripod, but the easiest is to try it.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #17
Trustee

I'd like to try this combo out first in a shop but i can't find anyone with a vinten 3as in stock. The shop which can give me the best price does have a vision 3 in stock but not the newer 3as model, they will try the older vision 3 head on a manfrotto 525 tripod tommorow and let me know if it fit's.
Is the older vision 3 and newer vision 3as the same dimension ?

The problem i have is, if i buy the head first and it doesn't fit correctly then i can still get the legs/spreader/bag after, however i don't get the good "full kit" price when buying the parts seperately, on the other hand i don't want to order the full kit, get it home then find out that the 3as head would've fitted on the 525 legs after all, that's £450 that i could've spent elswhere.

If there's anyone out there, maybe a shop which sells these items and has them in stock, which could try them together for me it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers, Paul.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi.................

Quote:
I take it that you're happy with your vision 3as ?
Ooooh yes!

OK, where to start? Maybe at the end?

The Manfrotto 525's. The 525's are the immediate successor to the 520's (which I have).

As Jack has already said, the Vinten & Manfrotto handles are not swapable (unfortunately) and making a Manfrotto style clamp with a Vinten thread is, I gather, harder than it looks.

(All following comments regarding the 525's are in blissfull ignorance of the facts, as I've never used a set).

I am confidant that the head will sit comfortably enough on the sticks, no problem. It's that bowl clamp which will give you the sh*ts in very short order.

Then there is the sticks themselves. Unless Manfrotto raised their game by an order of magnitude (or 5) over the 520's, you really do not want an EX1 and V3 AS sat on such a triangular pile of jello.

My advice is to fire a mail to Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com and get him to tee up a test drive somehow/ where. Take along your 525's and compare them to a set of Vinten sticks.

I think that any such A - B comparison will see the 525's relegated to a cupboard/ e - bay auction in very short order indeed.

The camera plate on the V 3 AS IS NOT the same as the plate on the V 3. The V 3 plate will fit on the 3 AS but is a bit loose. I can't recall trying the 3 AS plate in the V 3 but from the above I'd say it will be too large.

The ball bases on both V 3 & V 3 AS are identical, tho' the V 3 AS itself is significantly larger than the V 3.

The Manfrotto plate will not fit either a V 3 or V 3 AS head. Shame about having to use the Manfrotto plate for swapability, that side load on the Vinten is a dream. That said, if you're using the Manfrotto adapter unit, it is easier to load into than a standard V 3.

With the Manfrotto adapter unit, Manfrotto plate, EX 1 and twin wireless receivers up top you should be good to go with the 3 AS, tho' this really is something best tried if you can tee up a test drive.

COG is a head thing, pure and simple, the sticks make no difference at all.

All in all, you're best route from here is the test drive and direct A - B comparison, then go for the whole Vinten system (all things being equal).

I'll be interested in how it goes.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #19
Trustee

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.

So, the ball bases on both V 3 & V 3 AS are identical, tho' the V 3 AS itself is significantly larger than the V 3 ? Interesting, the shop where i'm gonna buy the tripod (eventually) has a vision 3 (not AS) and 525 legs in stock and are gonna try the combination tomorrow, if the older vision 3 fits the 525 legs then it's fair to say the newer 3AS will fit also IF the level lock is the same on the vision 3 and the 3AS.
This just leads me to the legs, are the vintens really that much better than the manfrotto 525's ?

Thanks again, Paul.
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hmm...........

Quote:
are the vintens really that much better than the manfrotto 525's ?
Well, as I said, I haven't used a set so have no real proof one way or another, and this is one of those subjects where I could talk till I'm blue in the face and not persuade you on either side of the argument.

The only real answer is to prove it to yourself, as seeing really is believing. If you give Peter a bell on 01284 752 121 (land line) or 07879 600 991 (Mobile) I'm sure he'll sort you with a demo.

If you want a crash course in support superlatives, start with a V 3 AS on your 525's, then try out a set of Vinten 75 mm sticks, then try a set of Vinten 100 mm sticks. Then, if you really want a serious case of tripod envy, see if he can manage a set of FiberTec's.

Bit dangerous, that last one, as he'll need a tranquiliser gun and a crowbar to prise them out of your hands afterwards.

Oh, better up the limit on your credit card before you go, you might just need it.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads