How to....? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 5th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to....?

How do you choose what kind of tripod and carry bag to choose when you buy a camera?? For the JVC HD10U for example...?
Gabor
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #2
Air China Pilot

Tripod should be bought by weight (i.e. can it actually support your camera). And also by whether you are shooting outside or inside. If you are carrying it lots, you want something light. But you also want something hardy.

The tripod head should be purchased with an eye to provide for your degree of flexible movement. If you are shooting action or live you need a good head.
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #3
Major Player

A really good fluid head is a must for smooth pan & tilt. If you can afford it; a carbon fibre tripod will provide excellent support while being nice & light in itself.
The extended height is something worth considering.....

I believe there's a 'JVC' hard case available for the HD10 that's mighty expensive. I'd check the Pelican hard cases - a bit more affordable than the pseudo JVC carry case - or any manufacturers in your country/state who may be prepared to customise a current catalogue item. (I believe there's a Chinese company making Pelican hard case clones at excellent prices...don't know their name though!!)

How to choose a bag/case that's right.....

Just set your cam up with mic's filters etc attached - then measure the overall dimensions. Add approx. 3-4cm overall to allow for hard-fill/padding for a bag size that will allow you to pull the cam out of the bag all ready to shoot.....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads