Miller Legs / Vinten Head? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 28th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Miller Legs / Vinten Head?

Before I spend the $2500.00, can anyone verify that the Vinten Vision 3 head (75mm bowl) will fit the Miller DV Solo legs (75mm bowl).

http://www.vinten.com/product-detail.php?lang=1&&pid=1&fid=1&rid=1&gid=

http://www.miller.com.au/products.cfm?sectid=20&subsec=2020&productID=178

Thanks,

James
James Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I can't verify it but I just had to write to say that what you are considering would be, to me, the dream setup. I have a DS10 Solo. Wish I had the Vinten/Solo. I was wondering about it too but I refuse to spend any more money. The DS10 Solo cost me $1300.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, it's keeping me awake nights too. (The cost, and the sweetness of the setup.)

Anyone else?
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Okay, this was an idea of mine a long time ago, but I wanted to update this post to say that I've finally purchased Miller Arrow Solo legs, a manfrotto (bogen) 100mm to 75mm adapter (much cheaper than the Miller version and works perfectly) and a Vinten Vision 3 head. It is the sweetest setup. The legs are unbelievably solid, don't need a spreader, can get 9 inches off the ground and go up to about 7 feet. The head is perfectly balanced for my XL and is buttery smooth. I'm in heaven.

http://www.millertripods.com/product...&productID=188

Total cost? About $3000.00 Canadian.
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

James... congratulations!

I am curious as to why you chose to go with the 100mm leg set with an adapter, rather than the 75mm leg set.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Good question. The answer is that my very next purchase is going to be a microdolly jib, and I wanted to be sure my legs could handle the extra weight. The 75mm bowl is weighted for max. 44 lbs., but the 100mm bowl is weighted for max. 66 lbs. Plus, I'm into some longer lenses and I can see myself moving up to a larger head in the future. I'm actually not sure what size bowl I need for the microdolly jib, but this way I'm covered if it only works with a 100mm bowl.

In any case, most of the specs between the models are similar (min/max height, weight, etc.). The legs remind me very much of my Gitzo 410, but they are lighter and the legs don't rotate (important for tripods that use a screw type locking mechanism).

All-in-all the Solo is very well designed.

~James
James Sidney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads