Tripod help needed. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old August 15th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #1
Trustee

Tripod help needed.

I need to get a better tripod for my system, and have done a lot of reading, etc. on the subject. Unfortunately, there's no place here in South Florida that stocks any selection to check out.I want to stay under 1500 for the sticks and head. Ihave a gl1 with a bunch of accessories, and will probably upgrade to a gl2 in the future.
I'd like something with the following:
1-Sturdy enough for the gl2 plus accessories.
2-Carbon fiber for light weight.( if carbon is too expensive, I could go with aluminium).
3-As good a head as possible within my budget.( My present set is very jerky with tilt and pan).
4-Sticks with quick release lever( buttons?).I saw a picture of a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 that looked like it had quick release levers on the legs.( I assume this would help for quick set-up.The tripod I have now is a real pain to get it set up and leveled).Does such a thing exist?
Thanks in advance
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the Miller 1511 ($1300). It's their Solo carbon fiber sticks and their DS10 Head. The DS10 head has a switchable 5 & 10 counterbalance. The 5 pound setting works pretty well with my bare VX2100 (3.6 lbs).

If you don't want the counterbalance, check out the Miller 1508. It has the DS5 head ($1100).

Both have a 75mm ball leveler. With the ball mount, you can level your cam in seconds.

Check out the Millers from EVS...

http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=4A1D1
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:39 AM   #3
Trustee

Nick,
Thanks for the info. Will this nadle the weight of an xl2 with accessories?
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Miller tripods

<<<-- Originally posted by Bruce S. Yarock : Nick,
Thanks for the info. Will this nadle the weight of an xl2 with accessories?
Bruce yarock -->>>

The DS10 head is rated at 11 pounds. So if your rig is 11 pounds or less, you're good to go.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #5
Wrangler

Nick, I'm in the market for a new tripod system. The Solo sticks seem to me to be slow as compared to an ENG setup with leg clamps.

Can you comment on the performance of these sticks?
Old August 18th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Mike, I am not a pro, so I have little need for speed but I would agree with you (from my very limited experience) that twist locks are slower than flip locks.

I don't know if this is of any interest or concern but all three top tubes are covered with foam, making it quiet if anything contacts the tube.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads