Looking for a tripod with suction cups at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Looking for a tripod with suction cups

Like i said , tripod or camera mouinting system for a still camera that can suction onto things like car windows, etc. Any recommendations?
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

http://gomediamonkey.com/products/cinemount3028.htm

I've been using one of these to stick my XL1s (and some smaller cameras too) all over serveral firetrucks... got some real cool shots from some crazy angles. It also has an indicator that lets you know when the vacuum is starting to fail.
Chris McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #3
Warden

Bogen (Manfrotto) also makes a suction cup mount system.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Manfrotto 3028 head CLICK HERE

Manfrotto 3500 pump cup CLICK HERE

Some assembly... i.e. 10 seconds worth... required.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #5
Major Player

What do you guys think of the Film Tools offerings? They look rock soild, I'd be very comfortable with a 3-point setup, but it's quite an expense.

http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/filmedweigca.html

There's just something about a single-cup that I don't trust....

Chris, how fast and how far have you travelled with your XL1 on that Bogen mount? Have you done any serious cornering? How did wind resistance affect high speed shots?
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've done quite a lot of cornering and travelled fairly fast with the XL1 on the suction cup, but I'm always giving the pump a couple extra pushes whenever I can and always have the camera attached to the vehicle with a tether. It's a very smooth shot, but that's because firetrucks are so heavy... on cars I do notice a lot more shake, but still very usable.
Chris McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #7
Major Player

We have 4 of them.

http://www.stickypod.com/

RB
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #8
Major Player

This isn't the first time I've said this... and (sigh)... it won't be the last...

Everybody would do themselves well to investigate the total spread of Manfrotto's offerings.

The above pump cup and tripod head was just my way of saying, "here is what this other guy put together and is calling his own product".

Manfrotto makes several configurations of the pump cups and there's a lot of clamps, brackets, magic arms, and various mounts, poles, lighting gear... I could go on and on.

You can make ANYTHING you want out of top grade stuff... all from the Manfrotto catalog.

Some guy on dv.com was pushing a car mount he made... it was around a grand. I could make that SAME mount with about $200 worth of Manfrotto goods.

Check it out... even a B&H Lighting catalog will show you enough to make 90% of this stuff.

Assembly is about as complicated as mounting a light or attaching a fluid head to the top of a tripod... Think of it as a tinker-toy set where you have to select each component at a cost of about $30 per part.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #9
Major Player

There are car mount plans in my book "Killer camera Rigs that you can build". It will stick to the inside of a window as well and uses four suction cup points. You can check out a QT movie of the rig in action on my web site to see if it might fit your needs:

http://www.dvcamerarigs.com/killercontents.html

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Nice review at Tom's Hardware for the Sticky Pod products. They mount it on a car (up to 135 mph) and on a Cessna 152. Videos of the results, too.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/video/20040806/index.html
Chris Long is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads