Bogen - Manfrotto 3246 Tripod Legs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 11th, 2004, 06:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Bogen - Manfrotto 3246 Tripod Legs?

Hey,
GL2 User here. I currently have a 501 head, and its a huge difference from the Ritz Camera $50.00 tripod I had. I am looking for a decent set of legs. I am useing the 501 head with the crappy Ritz Camera quantary legs and when I go to pan the legs wobble, they are not sturdy and its all plastic.

I'm on a budget I'm only 21 and have no money. I was looking at the Bogen / Manfrotto 3246 Black Tripod Legs. They seem to be what I'm looing for and there not too expensive, $211.95 @ B&H. I've seen legs for like $1,000, C'mon. I'm going to need a decent set of legs for News Gathering etc.

Anyone have the Bogen / Manfrotto 3246 Black Tripod Legs? How do you like them? Are they pretty sturdy? I like the fact that they raise high, like 84". Let me know I'de appreciate it.
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Kevin--
I don't own the legs you refer to, but I've used them a bit. They are more than enough for what you are going to put on them. I have the Bogen 3221WN legs, which are less costly and about 1/3 lighter, and they work great. I've had a 501 head on mine and it works out fine. They're about $164 at B and H, I guess there are plenty of other options, as well.

The only thing I would wonder about is the weight--will you be lugging them all over Creation, or using them in mostly static setups near your car? You're young, so maybe it doesn't matter--but added weight (when the benefit of the weight is unnecessary) is something that I consider now that I'm in my 40's. Stuff gets heavier faster now. Just something to think about...

They'll be fine for your head and camera.

Chris
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #3
Trustee

I second Chris's suggestion. I have the 501 head and the 3221 legs. It is a great combo for this price point. You can remove the center column and there is a small mount which detatches from the column which you can put in its place that will allow you to get very close to ground level if you choose. Also I would recommend the 3502 leveling ball with this setup. With the legs at $160 and the leveler at $60.00 you will come out about the same as the 3246 legs. I have used this combo sucessfully with a GL-1 and DVC-30.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use the same 501/3221/3502 combination and am pretty happy with it. I find the head does better with heavier loads (panning and tilting is smoother).

If you want to save money, ebay is your best bet, though you might have trouble finding 3221 legs without the 501 with it. If you can be more flexible on the leg choice and don't mind used equipment (my 501/3221 was used), there are probably several sets of legs that would work for you.
Old October 11th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ya that sounds like a good idea. What about spreader? How come no lower or upper spreader? the legs come out 1 at a time?
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Kevin,
Yes, I use 3246/3046 legs with a 501 head on 1 and a 503 head on the other set (until my new 516 head arrives). I use pd150's and on occassion a dsr370 (only on the 503 head and thats taking it to the limit) but the legs are as sturdy as a brick building.
I've used these tripods for all kinds of work and have beaten them up pretty good but they just keep tickin'.
The downside is they weight 17lbs and that my friend is alot. I get a real workout carrying 2 plus a 3067 dolly (another 17lbs) and don't forget the weight of the heads, plus the camera bags and light bag. I'm ready to hire a strong young assisstant just to lug my stuff.
But you can't beat the legs.

Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads