Reccomendations for Tripod - Xl-1s+mini35/teleprompter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old October 28th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Reccomendations for Tripod - Xl-1s+mini35/teleprompter

Hi, I am currently in need of a tripod system to use with my Xl-1s. At the moment I have a mini35 system which attaches to it. I won't have it for much longer, but it is still an issue now. I also sometimes have shoots which involve a teleprompter. In both these situations, I need a much sturdier tripod. Right now I am just borrowing a friends set of sticks. He has a Bogen 501 head on it. The 501 just doesn't cut it. My camera doesn't fall, but I am always worried about it. It seems to creep.

I would like to put together a set of legs and a head. I don't care about brands that much. I do know that I trust Bogen, Vinten, and Miller though.

I am trying to spend under a grand for the pair. Right now I am looking at Vinten legs(3775-3 ENG Aluminum 1-Stage Pozi-Loc) and the Bogen head (505 Multi-Spring Pro Video Head).

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

For the type of variable loads you indicated I would strongly consider a Vinten Vision 3. You can buy different counterbalance springs relatively inexpensively to accommodate extreme load changes.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #3
Major Player

I would love to get the Vision 3, but the price is just really high. $1000 for just a head is pushing it for me. You mentioned it can use interchangeable springs. On B+H I saw it listed for 950 for no springs and 970 for the head and the strongest spring. So why not get it with spring 10 for 20 bucks more? It can hold 22lbs. But anyway, it is a little pricey. Any other good alternatives. If there really aren't I guess I will have to fork over the $.
Old October 28th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #4

A Sachtler DV-6 would be a somewhat less-expensive, and less flexible, alternative.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old October 28th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #5
Major Player

The Sachtler DV-6 is actually much more expensive. About 500 bucks more, according to B+H.
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #6

No, not actually, although the price spread is less than I thought. The DV-6 can be had for around $1,700, the Vision 3 for $1,850. (I had a price of around $2,200 in mind for the latter, but forgot that I got the carbon fiber legs for mine, which bumped the price quite a bit.)

Truly good support for the loads you describe will run at least $1,200-$1,300 new. Keep you eye on our classifieds section and on eBay for used deals, as good rigs do come up for sale occasionally.

Old October 28th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #7
Wrangler

I just bought an OConnor 35A tripod and 515 head for $600 on ebay. Missing about $400 worth of parts but all are available from OConnor. OConnor sells essentially the same units under slightly different names for about $4700 today.

The whole package works very well with my DSR-300 which with softbox light is about as weighty as the rig you want to support.

These types of bargains are available. At the same time there was a Vinten Vision 3 that went for around $1400 but it was virtually new.
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:56 PM   #8
Trustee

You mean you have the PS technik adapter and the Vinten is TOO expensive?
Come on brother! ;0

Buy it once and never look back.
Old October 31st, 2004, 08:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Ya, but I am selling my mini35 in a month. It was an investment in which I plan to get a nice return. :)
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:44 PM   #10
Major Player

hi dave,
i saw a listing of vinten vision 3 tripod with a few counter balance springs on ebay just a few day ago. pretty good price and from the pics, look clean. maybe you can check it out.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 10:26 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Ed, I guess ebay is the place.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads