Manfrotto 501 or 701RC2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 20th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Manfrotto 501 or 701RC2

Is the 501 worth it -- or should I just go for the 701RC2 -- and wait to upgrade to the 503 ... ?

btw, this is for the DVX100a

I'm thinking going for the 501 on top of MDeve sticks (755B)

whaddya think ?

thanks,
Jay
Jay Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Manfrotto 501 or 701RC2

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Sanchez : Is the 501 worth it -- or should I just go for the 701RC2 -- and wait to upgrade to the 503 ... ?

btw, this is for the DVX100a

I'm thinking going for the 501 on top of MDeve sticks (755B)

whaddya think ?

-->>>

I'd say the DVX100a deserves the best head and tripod legs you can afford. The 503 is better than the other two, or it wouldn't cost more.

On the 755B sticks I must say I don't like telescopic legs. They are not as steady as a double-tube leg tripod.

In fact, I might go for a 3182 + 701RC2 combo instead of a 501 + 755B. Try both doing fast pans, particularly in tele, and see what you get.

Don't buy a head or tripod without trying it.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the 501 head and it is really not good enough for my XL1s. I bought it due to size and weight considerations. The main problem is balance. I believe i looked at the 503 in a store recently and tried it with an XL2. The camcorder postion was adjustable and this allowed one to balance the camcorder better. it certainly seemed better than the 501. However, balance may not be an issue for your DVX100a
Old January 22nd, 2005, 08:26 AM   #4
Major Player

I started a thread to brag up the 701rc2, but I didn't want to guide people to that head over better heads... For me the fascination with the 701rc2 was in how well the head works FOR WHAT IT IS. I've got a fairly massive Gitzo pod and the best head Gitzo makes... I use that with my DVX. The thing I like about the little Manfrotto is that it's feather-light and works pretty good. I was suggesting this head for people who couldn't afford a better head OR for people who wanted a second, super-light pod to supplement their other, hopefully higher-end pod.

If you've got any of the mid-sized prosumer cams such as the DVX, vx2000-pd170, or XL series then you should get the beefiest head and pod that you can afford and will carry along. (Any xl1-xl2 owners probably shouldn't even consider the 701rc2 head... but that's a matter of opinion... front heavy lens assembly.)

If you get a set of sticks with this head and all you've ever used is a cheap pod from a department store or local electronics store then you'll be happy. If you've tried out a fairly massive tripod/head before and then get this expecting that level of stability then you'll be unhappy.

Get the FATTEST head first and get this later for long treks or instant setups.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #5
Manfrotto Product Manager

> Is the 501 worth it -- or should I just go for the 701RC2 -- and wait to upgrade to the 503 ... ?

> btw, this is for the DVX100a

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I really don't have anything additional to offer suggestions-wise as all the others on this thread have replied with sound advice. But to summarize, it's recommended to use a higher load capacity head for your DVX100A, such as the 501 or the 503 - especially if you trick your camera out with a number of accessories (matte box, battery brick, mic, light, etc...). I won't repeat myself (from other threads) and explain the differences between the various heads, but one important feature about the 501 and 503 is the ability to add a long quick release place (code 501PLONG) which will enable you to better balance your camera - especially in cases when using these heads with the front-heavy XL2.

Marc Schotland
Manfrotto
Marc Schotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks folks for all your sound advice --

I actually ended up going with a 503 on top of 3182 sticks and the ground spreader.

I'm hoping that stiction won't be an issue with the 503 -- but I've used the dvx with the 503 n top of the 515mvb sticks this summer and I have to admit it was still pretty sticky on starts and stops -- hopefully this is one of the newer 503's. I did like the sticks though.

Although I've got a pretty feathery touch myself -- I am used to heavier sticks and heads ... personally I've an O'connor 50 that I don't have anything to put on right now and a monster Sachtler video 25 at work.

Also, I am hoping that the half bowl that comes with the 3182 sticks will allow me to use my hi hat and baby sticks cuz the 3182 sticks doesn't go down too low ...

Marc would you happen to know ? or Anyone ? if the half bowl is detachable from the 3182 sticks ...

Thanks again --
Jay
Jay Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Manfrotto Product Manager

Yes, the half ball is detachable from the 3182, so you can use it on a hi-hat. If the locking handle is too long, we also offer a shorter locking handle 319SH.

Marc Schotland
Manfrotto
Marc Schotland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads