Tripod inquiry at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 19th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Tripod inquiry

I have a meade tripod that has a removable head. I've been looking at bhphotovideo for different fluid heads but am not sure whether it'll fit my existing tripod. Heres a pic for reference, any ideas? Thanks
http://img226.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...sc026741wj.jpg

and heres a pic of the actual head that fits in
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/7605/dsc026750wa.jpg
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Major Player

I would recommend purchasing a new set altogether. Put the old head back on and keep that tripod as a backup or sell it, but I don't believe that any current heads will fit on that mount.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Old, not-so-fluid tripods, are great as a static tripod for your secondary camera. This way, you can almost be in two places at once, and still get your fluid pans with the nicer tripod.

Just keep an eye on it. I did this at a wedding, and turned around just in time to see a 4 year old grab my tripod with the brand new XL1s, and start shaking it. Drop back and punt?
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #4
Major Player

hi guys thanks for the response, but the old head that was there, is not meant for cameras at all. Infact , it can't pan or tilt or do anything.. its meant for a telescope, but i was able to take out the head. The tripod is reallly high quality, but i'm wondering how the fitting mechanism on just "fluid heads" is. thanks
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

Some of the more expensive heads require a "bowl" mount which wouldn't work for you.

But less expensive models, like the Bogen/Manfrotto 501 for example, just have a 3/8" coarse threaded socket. That's a big hole in your tripod! I suppose you could go to your local hardware and get a short 3/8" machine bolt and couple washers and to jury-rig something. The head may not sit so nice on that tripod however, and it may shift around due to the oversized hole in the tripod.

If you have some machine shop or welding skills I imagine you could make a little nicer adaptor plate. But honestly, I think Keith and Ben have a better idea. Just get a new tripod with a head. If you buy them as a "kit" they are usually pretty good deals. You'll end up with something a lot nicer in the end.

If you don't want to go that route, then see if you can buy from a local shop where you can bring your tripod in, along with a couple bolts and washers. That way you can see how well it fits before buying.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #6
Major Player

thanks guys, looks like i'll be buyin meslf a new tripod kit then. Thanks agin!
Old February 19th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #7
Major Player

hi guys, another question arises, how good is this tripod....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30094&item=3874284462&rd=1

I think its fairly rugged, but i'm wondering how stable/well made it is... Any opinions?
Old February 19th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #8
Wrangler

Impossible to tell from that link... But we urge you to shop at our DVinfo sponsors who support our site. B&H Photo has a large selection of tripods on their site. Browse back though this forum for extensive discussion of different models and all price ranges.
Old February 19th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #9
Major Player

i was checkin out bh earlier, but its really not that helpful to me, looking at it on line. So, i'm gonna rely on your guy's pro opinions. What about this one,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=329000&is=REG

or this one:
http://www.adorama.com/SVPP3.html

Pls lemm know, my budget is around 230 USD. Is it possible to get something thats reasonably well made for around that price range?
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #10
Capt. Quirk

I think I paid about $230 for my Manfrotto 501 head and 2001 legs. I really should have stepped up a notch, but it does the job. Try to squeeze another $100 or $200, and you'll be happier in the end.
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #11
Major Player

ended up going with this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30094&item=3874284462&rd=1
looks pretty good, its got a 30 day money back guarantee if i don't like it.. i'll mess around wi/ it and see how it is.
Old February 20th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #12
Major Player

I'll save you the 30 day hassle and tell you to run away from that tripod. A friend of mine had this head and the tilt is fluid but the pan is not. I gaurantee you won't like it. The first time you have to do any type of panning movement you'll be sorry you bought it.

I recommend a Bogen 501 head at the top. The legs are all personall preference. I have the 515MV legs with 75mm ball and they are great. But you can get find kits with different legs for less. I recommend one of the sponsors of these forums and find a kit with a 501 head and some legs that you like.

Stay away from that head that you are thinking about.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #13
Major Player

thanks for your advice ben, i got outbid on that item so i guess i wont be getting that. I realize what you are saying about the 501 head, i'm still thinking about it. Any advice on this one i'm looking at..
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=329000&is=REG
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #14
Wrangler

I'm going to cast my vote with Ben and Keith regarding the 501 head. I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221/501 combination and it's a good entry level system for the money. I upgraded to a Miller awhile back, so I don't use the Manfrotto as often, but there's about a $600 price gap there.

For a few bucks more than you were planning to spend you can have your choice of several Manfrotto legs with the 501 head. Look at some of the options here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=5136
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #15
Major Player

i see what you're saying, but those legs are kinda meant for lighter stuff, isn't it? the one im looking at supports 29 lbs, wheras the one you recommended is goin at about 10ish lbs... More weight = more stability right?
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads