basic question about load capacity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Major Player

basic question about load capacity

Hi All

I'm about to upgrade from my Manfrotto 503 (hooray!) and am leaning toward Sachtler. I'm shooting with an EX 1 but plan to eventually upgrade that as well to an EX 3 so I can use longer lenses. Reading the threads here I've seen that the FSB 8 is recommended for an EX 3 with extra weight on it. My question is: Would there be any drawback to using the FSB 8, EX 1 combination in the meantime? That is; is there any drawback to using a head with a heavy load capacity in conjunction with a light camera?

Thanks-
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Major Player

EX1 Weight 5.3 lbs (2.8kg)

EX3 Weight 7.6 lb (3.6 kg) With Lens

FSB-6 2-13.2 lbs (1-6kg)

FSB-8 2-20 lbs (0.9-9kg)

My EX3 balances almost perfectly on the FSB-8 on setting #3. I am sure it would also do so on the FSB-6 probably on setting #5.

An EX1 would probably balance well on an FSB-6 at setting #3 or #4 but I have no idea myself. You would probably find a closer balance setting for the EX1 on the FSB-6 and still have room for an EX3 plus more weight in the future. If you think you might stick more than 5 lbs on your EX3, should you get one, then the FSB-6 would not be enough.

An EX1 on an FSB-8 might balance at setting #2, or not. Again I don't know from experience.

It's all about what you intend to do.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Les for the reply.

Has anyone out there put an EX1 on an FSB-8? Did it balance properly? (I'd love to just check this myself but there is no store or rental house near me with an FSB-8)
Old September 20th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've used the EX1 with a Vocas mattebox on the DV6 which has the same weight range as the FSB8. Works as a charm, as close as you will get with a 75mm head for smaller cameras, handles the hpx170 or a loaded EX1 with ease. It should be decent for the EX3, but, if you are planning on running 2/3" lenses with adapter or larger film lenses via relays I would go for a 100mm head if you want as smooth operation as possible.

Currently I'm using the DV6 and 2 stage sachtler legs with my new hpx500 as a backup tripod. This exaggerates the only tiny problem with putting heavier setups(within the range) on the 75mm alu legs, they're not stiff enough. If i where to buy again I would go with the CF speedlock ones since they might be a tiny bit stiffer.

Apart from that you can't go much wrong with sachtler or vinten in the right weight range, I would definitely also take a look at Vinten's new AS range.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Update: The EX1 balances great on the FSB8. I'm enjoying it, but realized the first time using it that I've spent so much time compensating for the shortcomings of the old Manfroto that it'll take a few days to adjust to the feel of the new system. Like night and day in terms of smoothness.
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Yay, another one sees the light! Glad you like the setup, it will last you through many cameras. As I write this there is a new post asking about "what tripod for an z1" on this forum. Do people read?
Les Nagy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads