Need new tripod/head combo for DV500 camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need new tripod/head combo for DV500 camera

Looking to get a Tripod/head combo for a pair of DV500s. the budget is around $1000 dollers I know this isn't much to work with but if I have to settle for just a pair of new heads and use are current sticks thats fine since I don't think the current sticks are all that bad

currently we have Bogen 3063 heads and 3036 for the sticks.

I was reading that the 501 is the logical upgrade to our current head but i'm not too knowledgeable on tripods so not sure if this will work or not
Jon Kamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The 501/503 would work in a pinch but the weight of the camera would probably overload the 501/503 head. Of course you might be able to get away with it if you're using either LI-On batteries OR NP1 batteries.

Here's an example of my 5000-the camera with the lens (canon 16X7) the VF-P116 viewfinder, an AT897 mic on a Sony mount, an Anton Bauer UltraLight, Anton Bauer Gold Mount, AB wireless plate mount, 1 wireless receiver and and ABHytron 120 battery weighs in at 20lbs. Remember the battery alone is 5.5 lbs! Way too much weight for the 501/503 head IF I plan on doing any serious panning or tilting. Now if you have the lighter batteries&no receiver the weight might be just on the outside range of the 501/503 head.
The weight limit according to Bogen is 13.2 pounds. Works with a loaded up PD150/170 but could be pushing it with the 500/5000.
My suggestion is if the camera and batteries get you into the weight that work with the smaller head opt for the 503 and a set of 3246 legs. I have 3 sets of them and love 'em. Strong-sturdy and they get up high when needed. Yes they are heavy but they'll hold my camera and ME-I made a step to wedge in between the legs of the tripod and I have stood there up about 3 feet off the ground while operating the camera. Not highly recommended but in a pinch... I recommend the 503 because of the weight factor and the fact that it is a fluid head - the 501 is not (I have 2 of them and 1 503 as well--big difference in smoothness) IF the camera is more than say 15 lbs you might want to look into the the 516 head. More costly but it will take up to 22 lbs and with a set of 3246 legs you've got 1 strudy heavy duty (also heavy) tripod. I use that head for my 5000 and its as smooth as a baby's behind.
Anyway, there you go. I'm sure others will have differing opinions so take the info, weigh it out and get what you think will work best for you.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads