tripod storage & transport question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 8th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #1
Major Player

tripod storage & transport question

I have a Manfrotto 701RC2 head. How do I pack the tripod so the pan bar fits in the case? Lock the head tilt at +80 or +90 degrees, or leave the tilt at 0 degrees and loosen the pan bar to fit? I'm concerned that storing the head locked in an extreme tilt for a long time will damage the internal balance spring.

I e-mailed Manfrotto three or four days ago and haven't received a reply.

Thanks,

T.J.

* Excuse such a basic question. This is my first "real" semi-pro tripod setup.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Store tripod heads on 0 for tilt and pan, no lock

It is recommended by most manufacturers, I know Sachtler does this for sure. If you store your head in a locked position it can take a toll on the locking mechanism. Of course for the larger heads this applies more since the weight is much more. I would remove the pan handle bar if it is getting in the way. Most can fold down against the tripod without being removed. You should also let the pan bar fall free without being locked in. Most tripods should be packed heads up in a case too, you do not want the weight of the tripod on the head.
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info, Jerry.

I appreciate it. I'll let the pan bar dangle when packed in the case, and leave the head untilted in the neutral position.

I've learned so much from people on this board. You guys are great.

TJB
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Major Player

If you are shipping, a hard case is best. Soft cases get tossed around and don't provide adequate protection for any plastic parts, or protruding parts. When shipping, put the head and legs in separate cases. Obviously, remove the pan bar. If you can't afford a hard case, then maybe a few layers of bubble wrap and cardboard in a long box, or if it'll still fit in the soft case, great. You can figure out what will work.
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I bought a monfrotto 316 and legs with carrying case from a buddy in Houston, and had to fly back to San Francisco with it. The airlines BUTCHERED the padded soft case, broke the pan/tilt lock knobs as well.

Now I pack it in a hardshell golf case, with wheels. The case holds all the gear and then some, locks up nice and tight, and rolls around with a handle. Paid fifty bucks for the case.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Ouch! I feel for ya, buddy. Great idea.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads