what is te alternate number of the 503 tripod head? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 19th, 2002, 10:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

what is te alternate number of the 503 tripod head?

Looking at Bogen tripod heads, I noticed that the number for a 501 head is 3433. what is the alternate number for the 503 Bogen head?
Kelly

Just found it on another site. Its 3460--but since you are here do you recommend any sticks for the 503 head I am going to purchase?
Kelly Hoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2002, 11:22 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Kelly,
If you use the Search function (at top of each page) and look for "503" you'll find an *overwhelming* abundance of opinions and experiences on this topic. The 503 head seems to be the principal value choice for XL1s shooters. You didn't explicitly note what camera you'll be mounting but I assume (by posting originally in the XL1s forum) that it's an XL1s.

I'm moving yourr thread to our "Support Your Local Camera" forum which is more appropriate for this topic.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2002, 01:55 AM   #3
Outer Circle

Go to:

www.manfrotto.com

They have everything in the regular codes and the US Bogen codes.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2002, 12:01 PM   #4
Wrangler

I would recommend sticks heavier than the 3221s that I have now.

Another suggestion is that if you combo does not have a leveler to get one. I have the Bogen 3502 (Manfrotto 438) and recommend it highly.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 07:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I am still having a lot of trouble finding a tripod combination. I really didn't think this would be that difficult. I have pretty much decided on a Bogen 503 head. But I am not sure of what sticks to use with it. What sticks do I get and do I buy separately or do I try to find a package deal? Before anyone says it, yes, I have been to b&h and to Zotz to check out their items, but all the different numbers and models have me extremely confused. I have been a news photog longer than I want to admit--so I am used to all the good equipment (of course it wasn't on my dime). I am looking to spend $250-
$300 on a sticks and a head, but man the choices have thrown me for a loop!! HELP

P.S. This is for an XL1s
Old October 22nd, 2002, 07:55 PM   #6
Warden

I think you'll need to revise your budget. The Bogen 503 (3460) Pro Video Head runs around $250. Aminimum set of sticks with a 75mm bowl will be about equal. The Bogen 3182B come to mind. The set usually runs around $500. I will caution that this is barely marginal for the XL1. The pans and tilts are not the smoothest. However, to get a better head you'll end up near $800 for a kit.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 08:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks Jeff,
I noticed the price on the 503 heads on my last browse. Don't know what I was thinking. Probably will go with the 501 to stay under budget. Worked with a guy just recently that had a 501 head and I think 3221 sticks. I messed around with his 501 and found it to be adequate. I guess for a first time kit , what he had will do until I can make some money and buy better later. Does you have any advice on the 3233 sticks? I saw a package deal on b&h for those sticks with a 501 head for $321. I could probably go that route for now. Thanks for the reply.
Kelly
Old October 22nd, 2002, 08:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Also, went to Manfrotto and only saw about 3 choices for sticks. Am I missing something?
Old October 22nd, 2002, 08:15 PM   #9
Warden

Hey, we've all gotta live within our budgets. Nothing wrong with that. The nice thing about Bogen equipment is that it holds it's value very well. It will sell in a couple of years for almost new if its not all beat up.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Kelly:

I just picked up a 501 w/ 3221 sticks on eBay for $270... just like new.

Take everyone's advice and get yourself a ball leveler for it. It'll run ya about $70 including shipping, and it's well worth it.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 03:07 AM   #11
Outer Circle

Kelly,

You're missing something. I've got the Manfrotto catalog in front of me and I assure you it's jam-packed with tripods. You can find the same info up at:

www.manfrotto.com
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 07:31 AM   #12
Wrangler

You may also want to look at the Libec

Zotz's also handles the Libec. The M20 would be way too light for the XL-1, but they do make a model for the XL-1 and it will be cheaper than the Bogen/Manfrotto.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads