Miller DS-5 okay with small cams? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 17th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Miller DS-5 okay with small cams?

I have experience with a GL1 on a Bogen 501 - as others have commented, not the best results.

Currently, I have an Optura 60 for family events, partability, etc., but eventually I expect to own either an XL2 or the GL2's successor.

Will a Miller DS-5 work okay with 1 lb. camera? Is it hefty enough to handle an XL2?

Thank you,
rj
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Wrangler

I've been using a PDX-10 with a DS-5 for several years and it is well matched (2 lb camera). I can't imagine there would ever be an issue of the camera being too small.

The XL-2 might be another matter. I am currently using the DS-5 with a Sony HVR-Z1 and it seems fine for that also. But my only concern with an XL-2 might be balancing that front-heavy lens.

When compared to the DS-10, the DS-5 has some limitations. The mounting plate does not adjust on the tripod head like it does on the 501, it just snaps into a fixed position. You have a little range of adjustment in positioning the plate on your camera, but not much. There are also no pan or tilt drag adjustments like your 501. The DS-10 appears to be the same head in terms of action, but it has all these adjustments (and costs much more too). I believe it has an adjustable spring as well, and is rated for heavier cameras. I would definitely be happier with a DS-10 for the Z-1, but my wallet is stretched a little thin so I'm making do with what I already have :-)

I also have a 501, and can tell you that the action on the DS-5 is way, way better - as it should be on a head that costs so much more. But this difference is mainly apparent at the telephoto end of the zoom range. For wide and medium shots the 501 isn't so bad. I'm getting ready for a trip to South America and may actually bring my 501/3221 instead of the Miller due to the size and weight differences. Also, the DS-5 tripod won't go as low to the ground as my 3221 which can be a problem for certain types of shoots.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Boyd - Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the DS-5 is suitable for small cams through something like a GL1/2, but a larger head would be better for an XL2.

rj

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads