Removing the bowl from the head ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old November 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Trustee

Removing the bowl from the head ?

Hi guys
Just looking for a bit of advice removing the bowl from the head...I'm assuming this can be done ? - Theres seems no obvious way of doing this?

Its a Vision 3 head / 75mm bowl.

Many thanks
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

IIRC under the head there are some set screws that lock the head to the bowl. Pull the bowl off the legs turn it over and the screws should be seen. A Small headed screwdriver, a couple of turns (don't take the screws out they're a bear to replace) twist the head off.
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Er, Mat...............

Can you clarify the question please?

Are you asking whether the hemispherical steel BALL attached to the underside of the head can be removed

OR

are you asking whether the hemispherical BOWL attached to the tripod legs can be removed?

If it's the former (why on earth would you want to?) the answer is no. Well, actually, you can, but will be left with what amounts to a useless pile of junk. There is no hidden 3/8 threaded socket to fit the head to a flat base tripod and the ball is an integral part of the pan mechanism.

If it's the latter (why on earth..........) the answer is yes, but you will still end up with the useless pile of junk scenario.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi guys

Yes I was refering the the ball not the bowl. Sorry about the confusion. And yes I wondered whether that part fitted to a flat base with some sort of fixation point that could be conected to dolly slider !?

Attached is an image of the bottom of the head.

Chris I take it from your answer this is a NO theres nothing under there to connect too and that that equally the head couldn't be used on something like an indislider without extra pieces!?
Attached Thumbnails
Removing the bowl from the head ?-vision_head_base.jpg  
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Nope..........

Can't be done, sorry.

As I said, the ball is an integral part of the pan & drag system and it's removal basically knackers the entire thing.

If you go to the Vinten site and register yourself an account (as a Vinten owner), it gives you access to the Vinten Download maintenance manual library. A quick squizz at the Vision 3 manual is all it will take to confirm the above.

For an IndieSlider I'd suggest a cheap Manfrotto flat bottomed head OR........................

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 325N - ADATTATORE PER SFERA

maybe one of these perhaps?

Should do the job nicely.

CS
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
Hi guys

Yes I was refering the the ball not the bowl. Sorry about the confusion. And yes I wondered whether that part fitted to a flat base with some sort of fixation point that could be conected to dolly slider !?
I think this is exactly the scenario I wanted to resolve some months ago (Dolly, Slider section of forum). I ended up using a 190C head just for bare sliding purposes without panning option at the same time since the head is meant for stills work. Not very satisfactory for my needs. So I hope you can do better. Keep us informed. Sorry I can't offer any more help. Good luck.
Peter Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Whoops...........

Subsquent to my post, (#5) I had a serious case of deja vu and realised I'd been here before and fallen into the same trap, yet again.

As anyone who has ever tried to attach a Manfrotto bowl clamp to a Vinten half ball (or vice versa) can attest, it just plain don't work.

Owing to the different threads on their respective bolts, they simply are not compatible.

The Manfrotto adapter I highlighted will be threaded for a Manfrotto clamp bolt and thus will not take a Vinten head.

Looks like you're back to the "cheap alternative head" option as the only viable way to go.

Bummer, huh?

CS
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Trustee

Ok...I'd actually worked through and found these parts myself. But thanks for letting me know the thread patterns are different....what a pain in the arse ! You are 100% sure about this ?
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #9
Inner Circle

'Fraid so.....................

in fact, I was so afraid I was having a "senior moment" I just went and tried it again.

PITA it is, indeed.

There is a very small chance you could change the captive threaded nut, used in the Manfrotto adapter, to fit a Vinten bolt, but I personally wouldn't buy a lottery ticket based on the odds.

Back to the drawing board I'm afraid.

CS
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Mat,

I am a bit vague as to what you are trying to do but I have some pictures that may give you an idea or two. One shows a black anodized ring and a ‘natural’ anodized ring. Both have been machined to accept a 4” ball. The mating surface was radiused to suit. The black ring is inverted to show a groove that was machined to fit to an aluminium channel with the 4 screws shown. If you do not need a ball leveling system and just want to attach the head to something other than a tripod you may be able to adapt this idea.

Another picture shows a 4” ball and protruding bolt. One end of the bolt has a smaller ball fitted to it that fits inside a smaller ball cup at the center of the 4” ball. With a suitable mounting system the 4” ball can be drawn into its mating cup using the bolt. This arrangement means that the bolt always points in the same direction.

The third picture shows a short arm with a complete leveling system attached. The device uses a ball and a ring as described above. In this case the ball started life as a billiard ball. The ball is adjusted and tightened using the small protruding lever.http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Removing the bowl from the head ?-_dsc1411_2.jpg   Removing the bowl from the head ?-_dsc1410.jpg  

Removing the bowl from the head ?-_dsc1409.jpg  
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #11
Regular Crew

sample

Alastair, the idea is to mount the fluid head of a Vinten tripod onto a "base" or carriage so that it can glide along a track. So far however no base accepts the Vinten head due to the difference in the thread that is on the bolt of the head and the receiving "base".
You can get an idea of how it works here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-tr...39-slider.html
Peter Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #12
Major Player

i have a simiar question. i just got myself a slider and have the old manfrotto 501 not the hdv version.

can I separate the bowl from the legs so I can use it for slider. it does have screws but just wanted to make sure that it can be done before i pull it apart
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #13
Major Player

The point I was trying to make in my post above is that it possible to change the ball to another shape by the use of a ring - see photos. The first shows antique Miller that in fact has a removable ball that we will forget for this exercise. If the ring is placed over the ball and to illustrate my point a disc with a hole in it is placed over the bolt and ring you now an easier shape to work with, Instead of a disc you could use any one of a number of things .http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/a...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Removing the bowl from the head ?-_dsc1441-version-2.jpg   Removing the bowl from the head ?-_dsc1442-version-2.jpg  

Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Major Player

Another option is to just mount the Vinten head to a hi hat and then screw the hi hat to a board and mount that to your slider.

Hi hats are kinda expensive but you can use them for other purposes too. They make them in 75mm, 100mm and 150mm bowl sizes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Le; November 21st, 2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Meant to say expensive
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi guys............

Been away, so a bit backed up.

Jawad

- yep, if you have a 501, just undo, well, back off, the anti rotate screws from the ball and it will simply unscrew to reveal a flat based head ripe for a slider.

Tim

- you've got it, of course. If the slider will take a hi - hat, you're good to go. Even Vinten do an ultra short clamp bolt for just such an occasion.

Alastair

- the link appears broken, so not sure where you were going with your input, tho' I think the above has pretty well sorted it.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads