Mystery Tripod... Help? (Newbie Question) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Tourist

Mystery Tripod... Help? (Newbie Question)

Hey there, first post.

So I'm no tripod expert, I've never really had to deal with sticks and heads being two different elements.

That being said, I found this pretty sweet tripod out for the trash, but it has no head. It's really stable and goes really tall (about 7.5 feet). Also, there are NO markings anywhere on the tripod with any hint to what make/model it is. It seems kind of old, but it's really well built and sturdy.

My question is: are most mid-high grade video tripod heads a standard size? How do I know what head will fit my sticks? I just got a DVX100. Any recommendations as to what head I should get?

Unfortunately, I can't post pics right now, but I will in a couple hours if need be.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Anthony Zagarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Video tripods have bowls that allow the attachment of the head. The bowl feature allows the quick levelling of the head and come in 75mm, 100mm and 150mm sizes. The most likely size you'll use for your camera is the 75mm diameter bowl, the larger sizes tend to be used for the heavier broadcast & film cameras.

That's not to say that you can't use a 100mm or 150mm bowl tripod with your camera. From memory you can get adapters that allow you to fit a 75mm bowl head onto a 100mm tripod if you don't want or can't afford a 100mm head.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Major Player

If the tripod doesn't have a bowl, then the connection from legs to head is usually a 3/8-16 bolt. If there's a bolt on the top of the legs you found, and it's too big to screw into the mounting hole on the bottom of your DVX100, then it's probably 3/8-16. If it does fit, then it's a 1/4-20. There are adapters for going from 1/4-20 to 3/8-16.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Tourist

Here are some pics of the tripod, with a quarter for size reference. Thanks a lot for the help guys. So the part on the very top is considered the bowl? And the head kind of screws into the bowl? Am I understanding this correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Mystery Tripod... Help? (Newbie Question)-dsc_0055.jpg   Mystery Tripod... Help? (Newbie Question)-dsc_0062.jpg  

Mystery Tripod... Help? (Newbie Question)-dsc_0063.jpg   Mystery Tripod... Help? (Newbie Question)-dsc_0064.jpg  

Mystery Tripod... Help? (Newbie Question)-dsc_0065.jpg   Mystery Tripod... Help? (Newbie Question)-dsc_0066.jpg  

Old December 10th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Major Player

No what you have does not have a bowl. I don't even know if you can buy a head for that tripod. If you find a head for that tripod I have doubts that it will be smooth and allow for nice shots. However, since you found it in the garbage for free, its always worth a shot.
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You might be able to fit a flat base head onto it, but looking at the pictures it seems to be studio type tripod for a large format stills camera. I suspect it would prove to be frustrating to work with, although it could be handy if you need a locked off second camera.

Having a handy means of levelling your camera makes life a lot easier.
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Bazooka & Tulip bowl

Hi Anthony - there is something called a 'Bazooka' (in the U.K.) which is a series of tubes which stack on one another to give you a tripod with a very small 'footprint'. On top of this you put a 'Tulip Bowl' which, as you may guess, gives you the bowl (100mm) for your head. I would try to find a friendly Dolly Grip who might help you out. However, I have to say after all this, you may wish you had never found the thing in the fist place!
Good luck - Godfrey
Godfrey Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Tourist

Well, I was ready to throw in the towel until I happened to see this craigslist ad.

Tripod Samson 7201 Super Heavy

I emailed the dude immediately to see how he had it configured, but in case he doesn't get back to me, what do you guys think?

Apparently it's a Samson Quick-Set #7201. Hmm...
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Those usually fit on to a Euro boss on the Bazooka, I suspect by this stage it could be cheaper just to buy a 75mm bowl tripod.
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Anthony it looks a little like a tripod I own which is made for mounting a trapazoid binocular mount or a dovetail mount for a small telescope, not for cameras.
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #11
Major Player

If the threads are good on it, you might be able to fit a Manfrotto 438 leveling base on top of it. Then your options of finding a good head will be easier.

No matter what a tripod is built for, as long as it can take the weight & doesn't move, you can put whatever you want on it.

It looks like a beast to move around, but could be a very great find.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads