DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Replacing my 503hdv (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/469738-replacing-my-503hdv.html)

Steven Davis December 20th, 2009 11:09 AM

Replacing my 503hdv

Well, I give up. My 503hdv has got to go. I am thinking of going with a different brand like Cartoni for my long shots. I put a sony z1u on it, mic and some other accessories.

I went to BH this past December, but their head displays had broken demos, so I never got a touch and feel that made me comfortable.

Can anyone recommend a head that is similar to the 503 but could handle long shots better?

Paul Kellett December 20th, 2009 11:30 AM

Steven, get a Vinten Vision 3AS, it fits on the 525 legs perfectly.
I ditched my 503hdv head cos it's crap and fitted a vision 3 as head, it is so much better.
I can't recommend the vinten head enough.
I have to say that the manfrotto 525 legs aren't that bad, not any wind up that i've noticed.

Paul.

Steven Davis December 20th, 2009 11:39 AM

Thanks Paul

I'll do some research on it.

Steven Davis December 20th, 2009 11:45 AM

Hey Paul is it this one? Vinten | V4043-0001 Vision 3AS Fluid Head (Black) | V4043-0001

Paul Kellett December 20th, 2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1462560)

Yes that's the head.

You might want to read this review, from this site.

Vinten Vision 3 AS Tripod (1 of 4) at DVInfo.net

This head really is that good, from what i can gather there's noting else to touch it in this price range.

Paul.

Steven Davis December 20th, 2009 06:44 PM

Nice review, head looks nice. Darn shame I live where I do, no touch and feel.

Peter Harman December 22nd, 2009 02:31 AM

Steven

Pass me your contact details and ill get a loan system out to you so you can try before you buy.

Peter Harman
Product Manager, Vinten.

Rich Strang December 22nd, 2009 09:18 AM

Same Boat

I need a new head too! It's the Cartoni Focus or the Vinten 3AS. The Cartoni seems like a safe call- I think I want the Vinten but I'm worried about weight. I use a Z5 and I often don't even put the mike on it so it's barly 5lbs. Sounds like that can be a problem on the Vinten since you can't change springs anymore. The camera can be a few pounds heavier when its got memory unit, wide lens, mike. etc but that not usually the case so I'd like a full range of adjustment. I'd also love to keep this head for quite a while (The largest camera that I think I would ever own is an EX3 or XL - 10lbs at the most)
I can't try before I but either
Any soothing words out there for my concerns?

Paul Kellett December 22nd, 2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Strang (Post 1463362)
Sounds like that can be a problem on the Vinten since you can't change springs anymore.

Wrong, the spring is very easy to change,(less than 1 minute) just not meant to be changed by end users.
I'm sure that Peter Harman will advise you on what spring to have.

See my previous post about what Peter did for me.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...legs-fits.html

Paul.

Peter Harman December 22nd, 2009 02:13 PM

Rich

Pass me your details and ill get our US team to contact you in January with a V3AS loaner. If there is anyone else reading this thread and would like to try the new Vision AS, contact me directly and ill pass your details on to our customer services teams that covers your area.

Peter Harman
Product Manager, Vinten

Richard D. George December 25th, 2009 01:06 PM

Sachtler FSB is the way to go. I have Canon gear, but a Sony Z1U should work with an FSB-6. Some with Sony EX cameras move up to the FSB-8.

You will be astounded at the difference in pans and tilts.

Steven Davis January 15th, 2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 1462558)
Steven, get a Vinten Vision 3AS, it fits on the 525 legs perfectly.
I ditched my 503hdv head cos it's crap and fitted a vision 3 as head, it is so much better.
I can't recommend the vinten head enough.
I have to say that the manfrotto 525 legs aren't that bad, not any wind up that i've noticed.

Paul.

Hey Paul, I have a demo kit that comes with the Vinten legs. The main difference is that these legs don't have a center raise bar. Sooooo, I'm not sure if I want the legs or not. Any thoughts? I like my Bogen sticks.

Paul Kellett January 16th, 2010 06:34 AM

What do you mean by a centre raise bar ?
Will the Vinten head fit on your Bogen sticks ?
My Vision 3as head i still on my Manfrotto/Bogen legs, working great.

Paul.

Steven Davis January 16th, 2010 10:05 AM

My bogen sticks have a crank that raises the center pole Manfrotto 3246 - 3246 W/O HEAD BLACK

I'm wondering what I would lose by putting the V head on the sticks. The V sticks have a spot for the center balance adjustment, I would lose that with the bogen tripod.

Update: So far so good on the action, it's miles from my 503dv. These sticks are probably high enough, although the feet are set for a spreader which I wouldn't need. I however run this camera on a dolly most of the time, so I'll have to toy with it a little. Also, I'll have to check into extension wands to see if V has those.

Steven Davis January 22nd, 2010 05:14 PM

Verdict

Well, the Vinten Vision 3AS is a nice head, and it's probably something I will purchase. My sticks don't work on it, so I might keep the Vinten sticks as well. Although, the trouble with this is, I will lose a middle shaft raise and if the addon feet don't fit my 'round hole' dolly I will have to get a dolly that will work with the flat feet. And that's more $$$$

Soooooo, I'll be adding Vinten to my gear which is all Bogen.

I ended up buying the kit. Thank Vinten. Good stuff.