Matthews M25 or Bogen 501HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #1
New Boot

Matthews M25 or Bogen 501HDV?

Hi everyone,

I do small scale event & web videography. I've been using a JVC GY-300 (old 1/3" 3 ccd camcorder.) Soon I'll be purchasing a used DVX100b, as they are so very inexpensive these days. (I do have some consumer HD cameras for B cams & enjoy cropping within the frame & combining footage with my SD camera. I've a feeling that the HD market is still in such a rapid stage of development that I'm holding off on anything better.)

I've used a series of sub $200 tripods, and never been very happy. I'm not asking for (nor can I afford) the most professional tripod possible - I'd rather not hear that no tripod under $1000 is worth buying. (It may be true that I'd be infinitely happier with one, but I don't want to know. :))

After searching these forums for tripods in my target price range, I'm torn between getting a used Bogen 501HDV head or a Matthews M25.

Does anyone have a strong opinion about either? Is there something within $200 of this price that would be preferable? The DVX100b weighs 4.19lbs/1.9 kg stock. I may occasionally use an additional lens, but I can't imagine it will ever weigh terribly much more...

Thanks for this great forum,

Brit
Brit Albritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm no fan of the 501, and I haven't tried the Matthews. A friend of mine uses an inexpensive Libec with his DVX-100b, and it's not half bad.

I also didn't want to spend $1k+ on a tripod. I finally found a Bogen 516 head on 525 sticks for just over $300 on eBay. It's built like a tank, and expects a much heavier camera than I own, but it gets the job done. The spring is much too tight for my 5D Mark II setup, but I haven't found this to be a problem for short clips in a narrative film. You certainly can't see it on the screen. That said, I'd hate to shoot a day long conference with this thing, as you can never let go of it, unless it's a dead level shot, or you lock down the tilt.

Anyway, look into Libec, and keep your eye on eBay and craigslist. You might just find yourself a deal.
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Trustee

I can certainly vouch for the Matthews customer service and I think I can say that I know my M25 inside out:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...eg-repair.html
It's very good value and works very well with my Canon XH-A1.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Major Player

I think that Matthews IS the Libec. Someone else puts their name on the same model too. Around $200?

I bought one for my VX1000, geez, a decade ago! They've improved the head on it. Within its limitations, it was a lot of tripod for the money. About 8 years in, the quick release started having wiggle issues. But $200/8years isn't too bad.
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Another vote for Mathews M25

I use a Mathews M25 with my JVC-HD110 and just purchased another one for my HM700. I found it by far the best tripod in the price range. True, its not a $2000 Vinten, and it would be unfair to compare it as such. When comparing it to other tripods though, it feels much closer to the $2000 Vinten than other tripods in its price range.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The 501 is absolutely useless piece of junk.
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks!

Thanks guys. I've yet to hear a bad word about the Matthews - anyone ;)?

Brit
Brit Albritton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads