Manfrotto 519 aches and pains at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 20th, 2010, 03:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Manfrotto 519 aches and pains

Is there anyone out there who has had a good experience with a Manfrotto 519 fluid head?

I have had mine for about a year now and can honestly say I have had very little, if any joy with it.

after a month of use, it would not drag (horizontally) at all unless I set it to level 7, all other levels were as if I had it set to 0

it had always been fairly jerky on the horizontal pan too and

I sent it in, hoping to get a new one, only to wait 2 days shy of 4 months for the same head to be returned to me. It had been completely serviced and although was not working perfectly, it was a great improvement.

while all this waiting was being done, I got a loaner 519, which showed the same symptoms from the start and deteriorated progressively until only level 6 and 7 would drag.

3 months down the line, the problem has reared its ugly head once again.

anybody out there had similar experiences?
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Kenny.................

Wow, sure looks cold there via the web cam!

I don't think you'll get too much feedback on a 519.

Most folks thinking of lashing out that sort of money would get their heads straight and buy either a Vinten or Sachtler.

Manfrotto is definately at the bottom of the camera support food chain and your experience with the 519 only confirms my long held suspicion that they couldn't make a decent head to save their lives.

You'll find a zillion threads here pointing the way to a decent camera support system, stop agonising over that Manfrotto and jump ship now.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mine works great. All the settings work as they should. I use it with the smaller cameras. I also have a 510 which can handle bigger,heavier cameras . I have several Sachtler heads as well which are better but not that much better. Well the Sachtler legs are much better than the bogen.manfrotto ones.

chris
Chris Li is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads