High-end heads for a DvSLR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old February 27th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Looking back, it was a high type to think ratio. :)

With the projects ahead of us, I can probably deal with a heavy tripod. This coming year, almost everything would be shot on site, and we have some nice carts and elevators for moving things around. I guess it's more walk and shoot than run 'n gun.

Anyway, you make a good recommendation. I'll plan to propose the Kessler pocket products with a nice Vinten carbon tripod as the backstop.

I guess I'd like some opinions about Kessler vs. PortaJib. I'll start a new thread in the relevant forum...
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Good man.............

May the force be with you.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #18
Major Player

My vote would be for Sachtler, either FSB 4 or FSB 6. Legs could be either Sachtler CF or Gitzo CF 3-stage with 75 mm bowl.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Er, Richard..................

Have you actually read the whole of the thread?

CS
Old March 13th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I received the 3AS head today, and... it's missing the pan arm! Hopefully, I'll get that straightened out quickly.

Also, the spring feels a bit stiffer than I had expected, but I don't have the whole kit just yet, so we'll see... I've gotta say, having a continuous spring adjustment should be sweet!

BTW, I ended up getting the Vinten 2-stage aluminum legs and Manfrotto floor spreader. I'll also have the Kessler K-Pod, so if the Vinten aluminum legs aren't solid as I would like, I'll have the K-Pod for in-house shots. The Vinten will be nice for throwing in the trunk though.

Also, I got a Kata 41 bag. It's a bit tight with the Manfrotto spreader, but it works. The bag has a triangular shape, and is semi hard. It would be weak for airline travel, but should be solid for packing around town.
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Bugger...............

the Pan Arm?

Geez, someone's in for a right bollocking!

Which legs Jon - the 75's or the 100's?

Aluminium? You ain't been reading my other posts here, methinks (else the budget department stiffed you).

Have a play and get back to us.

CS
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Yep. Budget limits. I got the 75.

Again, the Kessler should be like Gibralter. And 90% of what we will do will be in-house. But I didn't want that to be my only option on the day I need to hike to a waterfall. The CF sticks just weren't in the cards.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads