Bogen 3182 Sticks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 17th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bogen 3182 Sticks

I wasn't really thinking when I bought these sticks. Im always having problems shooting low angle stuff with these sticks, I can't get them low enough. What do you guys do with these sticks for low angle shots? Do you recommend getting the mid level spreader? Will I be able to get the legs to go lower and have it be more secure with the spreader?

Thanks,
Gev
Gev Babit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Major Player

There are a few things you can do, aside from purchasing a shorter pair of "sawed-offs" (short sticks designed for low angle work).

I don't think the spreaders will help you get as low as you want, but here are a couple of alternatives.

Get a piece of carpet remnant about six feet square. Remove the rubber feet from the stix and be certain the spiked feet grab into the carpet as you spread the legs. This should get you down to about 18" lens height. The carpet is always a good thing to have available, especially when you need to shoot on hardwood floors where the legs might cause scratches.

The other option is to take a length of light weight rope and make a triangle out of the rope by going from one leg to the other. Note at the bottom of each leg is a hook to attach the rope. This will allow you to get the legs quite low.

Finally, you can rest the whole thing on the bottom of the leveler post for your pan head.

These stix weren't designed for low work, but they are still great stix for the money. BTW, I believe you can also buy a high hat for the 510 head from Bogen.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Wayne, it was very helpful!
I agree the sticks are still great sticks for the money.

Thanks,
Gev
Gev Babit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads