Removing 501HDV head from 190xprob? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Removing 501HDV head from 190xprob?

This is sort of an embarrassing question, but I have spent some time looking online with no results. I have a Manfrotto 501hdv tripod head that I'm using on some Manfrotto 190xprob legs. Problem is, I don't know how to take the head off! There are three tiny screws that seems like they would do the trick, but to no avail. The manuals were no help either.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Major Player

The three screws are set screws and they lock the head in place. After that the head is screwed into the legs. At this point when the set screws are loose, lock the pan of the head down tight and simply twist them apart. They may be very tight the first time you try it.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I haven't got an answer, but I can tell you you're not alone! I have some Manfrotto heads and sticks that won't come apart, and I've never been convinced that those three screws did anything. The heads are still on their sticks even with the screws taken right out.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
The three screws are set screws and they lock the head in place. After that the head is screwed into the legs. At this point when the set screws are loose, lock the pan of the head down tight and simply twist them apart. They may be very tight the first time you try it.
This is very helpful. When I get home I will try this. It would be great if I could separate them. I'd love to use my tripod head with my new glidetrack!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Just a follow-up to Jerry's post. I removed the 3 set screws as directed. Then I locked down the pan head (to the left of the bubble level, on the 501HDV head). It came right off after that. Thank you for the help!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What about the glide track?

How did the glide track work with the head?
Norman Lang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads